1. Orange gemstones to match the 2012 Pantone Color of the Year, Tangerine Tango. Think fire opal, spessartite garnet, and citrine.
2. Colors that complement Tangerine Tango, such as navy (blue sapphire), green (emerald or tsavorite), brown (zircon, diamond, or agate), and red (ruby, rhodolite garnet, or rubellite tourmaline).
3. Pearls—both natural and enhanced—because they provide good margins and come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes.
4. Aquamarine, whose cool blue is being hailed as a strong color for spring 2012.
5. Opal, from the classic Australian black opal to Mexican fire opal, boulder opal, and Ethiopian opal.
Source: Adam Graham and Doug Hucker, AGTA