Anthony Hirsh Establishes First Scholarship for GIA London

Anthony Hirsh, founder and managing director of Hirsh London, has given a $100,000 gift to the Gemological Institute of America to support student scholarships at the Institute’s London branch. This marks the first major financial contribution made to support prospective students who want to attend GIA classes in London.

Initially, 20 percent of the gift will be used to establish the Anthony Hirsh Scholarship, which will be disbursed annually to provide opportunities for U.K. residents. The first scholarships will be awarded for the 2006 academic year. The remaining 80 percent of the gift will go into the GIA Endowment Fund, where it will be permanently invested; a portion of the interest it generates will be used for additional GIA London scholarships over time.