Suzanne DeVries, owner of Diamond Staffing Solutions, shares tips on how to hire and train seasonal employees.
1. Even with temporary people, you have to do the same due diligence when it comes to reference and background checks. They will be dealing with lots of expensive merchandise and could rob you blind—it happens.
2. You have to train seasonal employees just as you would any other person. The mistake retailers make is bringing in people during the holidays and throwing them in with no prep.
3. Hire seasonal employees who could be full-time hires in the future. If all goes well, the time spent with them can be an investment.
4. To find applicants, put up signs and get on job boards at the local college. Then sell the job as something students could be rehired for during future busy periods.
5. Have temps sign a noncompete agreement and create employee files for them. If something goes wrong, every little thing has to be documented for you to be protected.