In the wake of Apple’s announcement that it is producing its first watch, the watch and fashion industries are taking a serious look at the category.
1. TAG Heuer announced it is developing a smartwatch, to debut at next year’s Baselworld. Jean-Claude Biver, CEO of the LVMH Watch Group, which includes TAG Heuer, said it would not imitate Apple.
2. Swatch Group will add some smart health-oriented features to its Swatch Touch next year. The new timepiece will include fitness features with a “Swatchy” touch, said a spokeswoman.
3. Fossil is partnering with Intel to produce wearables associated with its leading fashion brands.
4. HP is working with luxury retail site Gilt to create a smartwatch designed by Michael Bastian.
5. Jewelry and watch fair Inhorgenta Munich is planning a new section on smartwatches for its next edition, as well as an educational session on the category.