10 ways to make your marketing emails more readable
They say the biggest challenge of email marketing is getting your emails opened. But it doesn’t end there. Emails will work only if the recipients actually read them. So how do you hold their attention?
Follow these 10 tips for crafting emails that will captivate your readers:
1. Write what comes to you naturally. That’s how your enthusiasm and personality come through.
2. Keep it short and simple. Edit your emails with rigor. Next time you write, challenge yourself to cut your text by half.
3. Ask questions. Imagine having a face-to-face conversation with your reader. You’d ask questions in that situation, wouldn’t you?
4. Don’t forget the personal touch. The more readers trust you, the more they will care about your product. Let recipients know how to contact you directly with questions or comments.
5. Say no to automated greetings. Try “warm regards,” “warmest wishes,” or “greetings from sunny England.” Be creative!
6. Use the word you. Remember No. 3? An effective email is as good as a one-on-one conversation. You is a very persuasive word. Without it, a promotional email sounds like a boring sales pitch.
7. Develop your own voice. You have given considerable thought to developing your product; give similar thought to selling it.
8. Add personality. Use your signature words and expressions. You want readers to know there’s an actual human behind the email.
9. Don’t be dull. Avoid long, complex sentences and tangents. Read your email to a friend and cut whatever causes them to tune out.
10. Care about your readers. They’re giving you their precious time. Focus on what they’ll gain from sparing you five minutes.