The World Gold Council unveiled a new collection of celebrity designed leaf motif gold jewelry items entitled Leaves of Change, which will be auctioned off for charity in May in New York City.
Eleven celebrities and one celebrity couple each sketched a leaf motif necklace. World Gold Council then paired each celebrity with a gold jewelry designer to produce the piece in radiant yellow gold.
Each participant chose to have proceeds from the sale of his/her necklace benefit their favorite charity. A charitable gala benefit will take place on May 7, in New York City, during which a simultaneous live and online auction, facilitated by Sotheby’s auctioneer Gary Schuler, will be held to raise funds and awareness for all of the designated charities.
Participating jewelry designers and charities include:
* Christina Applegate with Alex Woo for Right Action for Women
* Whoopi Goldberg with Annie Fensterstock for Ronald McDonald House
* Marcia Gay Harden with Ariane Zurcher for Waterkeeper Alliance
* Samantha Harris with Erica Molinari for Jewelers for Children
* Debra Messing with Robert Lee Morris for Youth AIDS
* Chris Noth with Robin Rotenier for Rainforest Action Network
* Lena Olin with Mauri Pioppo for Hope for Henry
* Rachael Ray with K. Brunini Jewels for Yum-o!
* Susan Sarandon with Mattioli for Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen
* Brooke Shields with Tre Spighe for Gold Expressions, for Jewelers for Children
* Pauletta and Denzel Washington with Leslie Greene for Jewelers for Children
Each goldsmith is donating their time and money to create an exclusive set of three pieces from the celebrity sketch/design, one being gifted to the celebrity and one being auctioned off in May 2009 with proceeds going to the designated charities. The third piece will travel on tour from July to December to approximately 16 U.S. cities outside of New York to further raise awareness for the multiple charities.
“Bringing together highly talented celebrities with renowned jewelry designers will create exciting and innovative gold designs,” says John Calnon, WGC, US, managing director. “The simultaneous benefit to multiple charities, especially in such difficult economic times, makes for a meaningful and lasting impact.”
Leaves of Change producer, Deanna Russo of ENTegrity, and Shaye Strager of Studio PR have built upon their strong relationships within the entertainment industry to bring top quality talent to this initiative.