The news stories that proved the most popular this year, including a new gemstone, a rash of store closings, and an (allegedly) crooked California jeweler
1. The Story Behind the New Gemstone: Aquaprase
News editor Rob Bates talked to veteran gem explorer Yianni Melas about the all-new and all-natural gem.
Bates’ interview with Richline chief marketing officer Mark Hanna about the future of the brand was shared widely via Facebook.
3. Pantone Unveils Spring 2017 Fashion Color Report
When New York Fashion Week rolls around, so do 10 new chic colors used in clothing for the season ahead and named by the color authority. Market editor Jennifer Heebner wrote about the spring 2017 picks.
4. Pandora’s Ax: 450 More Retailers Cut From Network
The company announced it was walking away from just about every “white” and “silver” retailer—and a few “gold.”
5. 700 Jewelers Called It Quits Over Past Year, Says JBT
The number of wholesalers and manufacturers also fell.
6. California Jeweler Arrested for Alleged Stone Switch
The jeweler was accused of replacing two diamonds with moissanite.
7. Synthetic Diamonds Pose Threat to Industry, Particularly Melee, Report Says
Morgan Stanley analysts warned that miners need to boost marketing to past–De Beers levels.
8. Jewelry Store Owner Sentenced for Memo Fraud
Dina R. Garfinkel defrauded 12 companies of at least $400,000 in merchandise, the government said.
9. JCK Show Moving Back to the Venetian, the Palazzo, and Sands Expo in 2019
The convention center, the show’s longtime home, has been revamped.
10. De Beers Officially Jumps Into the Diamond Buyback Business
Now any consumer with unwanted diamond jewelry can sell it to De Beers.
(Photo of Aquaprase courtesy of Yianni Melas)
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine