Butterfields auction house will bring to auction the jewelry, furniture, and collectibles from the Estate of George and Merian Stoll this September. The centerpiece of this consignment is the Stoll Diamond-an exquisite 32-carat natural fancy intense yellow diamond formerly owned by Rita Hayworth. The stone and ring were set in the 1940s. The diamond is expected to bring between $150,000- $250,000 at auction.
“This gem is unique because many diamonds that fall into the fancy yellow category tend to have their color wash out, particularly when the carat weight is as large,” says Peter Shemonsky, Jewelry Department director.
The Stoll Diamond will be offered during Butterfields Fine Jewelry auction in San Francisco and Los Angeles on September 25, 2001. The greater part of the Stoll estate, including an Academy Award won by George Stoll for his work on the 1945 film ‘Anchors Aweigh,’ will be auctioned on September 10. Both auctions will begin at 10:00 a.m.
George Stoll was a renowned composer and also worked as an associate composer for the films “The Wizard of Oz” and “Meet Me in St. Louis,” and penned Elvis Presley’s hit song, “Viva Las Vegas.” His wife, Merian, was an actress.
In addition to the Stoll diamond, other items from the estate of George and Merion Stoll include:
* Gentleman’s Perpetual Calendar, Moonphase Chronograph Wristwatch, Patek Philippe
* Marquise Diamond Ring $9,000-11,00
* Art Deco Gem-set “Orchestra” Bracelet” $3,500-4,500
* LeCoultre Lady’s Wristwatch, Circa 1940 $700-900
Other highlights of the sale include:
* Enamel and Yellow Gold Bracelets, Schlumberger $6,00-8,000 each
* Diamond and Platinum Clip Brooch, Circa 1930 , Cartier $ 6,000-8,000
* Enamel and Gold Pendant Necklace: Eugene Fonteney $6,000-8,000
* Fancy Colored Diamond Ring, Bulgari $16,000-20,000
* Important Sapphire and Diamond Bracelet $40,000-60,000
* Diamond and Platinum Bracelet, Circa 1950’s $35,000-45,000
* Art Deco Diamond and Gem-set Bracelet, Cartier $16,000-20,000
* Fancy Yellow Diamond Ring $16,000-20,000
Among the watches being auctioned are:
* Lady’s Retro Wristwatch, Vacheron Constanin $7,000-8,000
* Art Deco Pocket Watch, Raymond Yard $3,500-4,500
* Cartier Pasha Wristwatch $4,750-5,750
* Vacheron Constantin Wristwatch, Circa 1940, case by Verger $10,000-15,000
* Rolex Daytona Cosmograph $8,000-10,000
For more information, contact Butterfields in Los Angeles at 7601 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90046; Tel: (323) 850-7500. Butterfields San Francisco headquarters at 220 San Bruno Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94103; Tel. (415) 861-7500. Or visit the Butterfields Web site at http://www.butterfields.com.