Stuller, the manufacturer known for providing jewelry retailers with some of its most vital needs—from wedding jewelry and gemstones to metals, findings, tools, packaging, and more—is getting ready to celebrate its 50th year in business.
In honor of its incoming milestone anniversary, here are five things you may not know about this marvelous manufacturer.
1. It started in a trunk. Matt Stuller ran his business from the boot of his car after recognizing that local jewelry businesses needed to source quality findings and mountings quickly and easily. What began as a one-man operation has now become an international corporation, employing 1,573 people worldwide.
2. It’s stuck with its roots. Incorporated on Nov. 12, 1970, by Matthew Stuller in Lafayette, La., the company remains headquartered in that city today. The company also works with many of same retailers that it did when it was in its infancy. “I am so grateful to the business owners who graciously gave a young guy a chance years ago by supporting my sales efforts,” said Stuller in a statement. “And today we still work with those customers, in addition to enjoying a partnership with so many more. Stuller is only successful when they are successful.”
3. It’s more than just jewelry. Many retailers will put in an order to Stuller when a customer is requesting a special mounting for a ring, pendant, or a finished piece, but the manufacturer also offers products such as CAD software through its CounterSketch and MatrixGold 3D design programs and digital solutions such as its ever&ever selling system and Stuller Showcase, a sales tool designed to maximize engagement with customers.
4. Stuller loves to teach. Along with educational offerings like training in basic laser, stone setting, digital technology, and its Bench Jeweler Workshops, Stuller’s Bridge conference—a three-day event designed to offer business insights and networking opportunities—is a huge destination for many jewelers. Free to qualifying customers, Bridge is held several times annually at Stuller’s Lafayette, La., headquarters.
5. It’s committed to staying on top of the industry’s big issues. Along with covering hot industry topics at its Bridge conferences, Stuller participates in a range of events throughout the year, including JCK Las Vegas. This week, some of Stuller’s experts will be on-site at New York City Jewelry Week to take part in two events. On Thursday, Nov. 21, Stuller will join a panel discussion on lab-grown diamonds at the SCAD pop-up at SOHO’s Industry West. On Friday, Nov. 22, the manufacturer will be part of the all-day series of talks and panels on sustainability at the Fashion Institute of Technology while showcasing product illustrative of the topic. Learn more about these sessions at nycjewelryweek.com/events.
Top: In honor of its 50th anniversary in 2020, Stuller has unveiled a new special edition logo (image courtesy of Stuller).Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine