I will be on vacation next week, so this feature will not run. I’ll be back Sept. 13. I wish all of you a great end of summer, and to all who celebrate, a happy and healthy new year.
This week: New Tiffany campaign goes off the rails. Woman arrested for stealing jewelry from coffins. All you need to know about tooth piercing. All below.
Brilliant Earth files for IPO.
– Why the IPO may be brilliant.
Signet Jewelers’ hot streak continues.
– Earnings call transcript.
– InvestorsObserver is bullish.
The Show Did Go On
– Exhibitors: Business is strong in business—and at show.
– Rapaport sees “good business.”
– What retailers bought.
– Luxury 2021 strikes an optimistic note.
– What JCK’s industry survey says about business.
– Panelists give their outlook on the state of the industry.
Sequential Brands, owner of the Jessica Simpson and jewelry brands, files for Chapter 11.
WatchBox invests in Swiss watchmaker De Bethune.
Holiday confidence high for diamonds.
– Miners reporting shortages.
– Global diamond production to grow 1% in 2021.
Why hip-hop artists are key for promoting diamonds.
Jay-Z, Beyoncé, and Tiffany: the “marketing conundrum.”
– Alexandre Arnault talks about campaign (subscription required).
– The controversy over the Tiffany diamond.
– Washington Post columnist: Yes, it’s a blood diamond.
– Beyoncé is “angry and disappointed.”
– Oh, there’s also controversy about the Basquiat painting.
– The painting’s “curious history.”
– What is the campaign really selling?
Pandora expels Chinese actor from promotional campaign.
Pandora CEO sees Chinese growth as a “marketing task” (video).
Luxury spending rises in Hong Kong.
The new threat to China’s luxury boom.
– Why China’s luxury decade may be just starting.
Made-to-order diamonds may be future of lab-grown industry.
Charles & Colvard shows improved sales and profits.
Indian jeweler Joyalukkas said to plan $400 million IPO.
Tanishq allows younger consumers to sell “digital gold.”
Are “blockchain diamonds” a hedge against inflation?
Diamond dealers on “doing the right thing.”
Jared hit by suit that claims it inflates diamond weights (subscription required).
Do consumers care about social responsibility?
World Diamond Council president admits Kimberley Process has limitations.
Yellowknife diamond cutter hopes to succeed where others have failed.
Angolan diamond mine center of reform program of country’s president.
Congo says Angola diamond tailings pollution kills 12.
Local company opens diamond mine in Lesotho.
Zimbabwe’s Murowa to double production.
Afghanistan is sitting on a literal gold mine.
Belgium eases travel restrictions for foreigners.
Pandora rolls out workforce safety solution as it reopens headquarters.
What it’s like to wear a gold Cartier watch.
De Beers appoints Havas to global media account.
Report: Anglo American closes in on new CEO.
Jewelers Mutual appoints senior VP of marketing.
Lake Giles joins Bottom Line Marketing.
Lux Bond and Green CFO hailed as “40 Under Forty.”
Founder of Peter Franklin Jewelers dies.
Tourneau’s Time Machine reopens under Bucherer name.
Tokyo Paralympics medalist’s wife sold her jewelry to support his career.
Kendra Scott supports Tennessee family affected by flooding.
French woman arrested over jewelry thefts from coffins.
Customs intercepts $5.2 million in fake Cartier jewelry.
Tamar Braxton’s ex-husband Vince Herbert accused of defrauding jeweler.
Man enraged that ex-wife will not return engagement ring.
Some diamonds form out of the remains of living creatures.
Everything you need to know about tooth piercing.
Refinery29 does “serious investigation” on why men with body piercings are “hot.”
Tiny diamond mirrors could smooth out X-ray lasers.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
From the Magazine
Have a safe and healthy weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine