Men’s Accessories Sales Are up Significantly in 2014

Are you merchandised to meet the demand?

Are your men’s watch and jewelry cases stocked with the latest and greatest offerings? Now’s the time to bump up your merch selection for guys. 

Market research firm NPD Group reported on July 23 that men’s accessories grew 9 percent, to $13.6 billion, in the 12 months ending May 2014. Growth in the category builds on the 4 percent overall growth men’s accessories experienced the year before, bringing the total two-year increase to 13 percent.

“Today, more men are looking to stand out in a crowd, and accessories are a way to make a bold statement without having to overhaul their wardrobes,” said Marshal Cohen, chief industry analyst at NPD Group, in a statement.

“Instead of buying accessories by piecemeal, men are now making purchases across multiple categories and seasons,” he added. “This increase in accessories also correlates with the growth we are seeing in men’s apparel and footwear. Overall, men are becoming more interested in fashion, and retailers are building upon this trend by catering to them specifically.”

NPD measured six categories within men’s accessories—the most lucrative were jewelry and watches, followed by sunglasses, bags, small leather goods, and luggage. All six categories experienced sales increases. See the below chart for dollars spent on each.


Looking to bolster your selection on men’s jewelry and watches? There’s certainly no shortage of manufacturers making great men’s accessories at every price. 

Here are a few of my personal favorites:

Hook rose gold-plated and leather bracelet, $95, from Miansai

This made-in-the-U.S. brand offers trendy leather and cord bracelets at a variety of price points. Check out its mininamlist watch line, too. 

The Runwell Chrono watch, $950, from Shinola

Another U.S.-made brand, Detroit’s Shinola mines retro styles to produce sporty, rugged watches and clean-lined small leather goods (think leather coin trays and embellishment-free leather backpacks).

The Sentry Chrono, $300, by Nixon

This stylish, retro-loving, men’s brand—a favorite among men’s magazine editors—boasts great-looking timepieces priced for young, hip guys.

Bronze Aquatimer, $11,100, by IWC

Classic and cool, IWC is my favorite undercover player in the luxury-timepiece game. Its watches are the opposite of flashy and tend to reside on the wrists of bona fide big-leaguers. 

All images courtesy of brands listed

Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine

JCK Senior Editor

Log Out

Are you sure you want to log out?

CancelLog out