Man allegedly involved with a police officer’s death during a robbery is indicted

A grand jury has indicted a Bronx man on 19 charges in the February robbery of a New Hartford, N.Y., jewelry store that led to the fatal shooting of a town police officer, a Utica, N.Y., newspaper reports.

John T. Healy, 46, was charged with second-degree murder, 12 counts of first-degree robbery, and six counts of second-degree robbery in the indictment, which was released this afternoon, The Observer-Dispatch reports.

Police reportedly said Healy was one of as many as four people who robbed Lennon’s-W.B. Wilcox Jewelers on Feb. 27. Healy and Walter R. Richardson were then involved in a car chase that ended when their vehicle crashed in nearby Kirkland.

The two then fled on foot, police reportedly said, with Healy being captured while Richardson escaped after fatally shooting New Hartford police Officer Joseph Corr.

Police said Richardson then carjacked a tow truck, forcing the driver to take him to Philadelphia. He was killed the next day in a shootout with police in the Philadelphia suburb of Chester.

Healy faces a sentence of at least 25 years to life on the second-degree murder charge, five to 25 years on each first-degree robbery charge, and 3 1/2 to 15 years on each count of second-degree robbery, the newspaper reports.

Healy has been held in the Oneida County jail without bail since his capture, the newspaper reports.

In another turn, the newspaper reports that Richardson, has been linked by DNA evidence to a 2005 jewelry store robbery in southern New Jersey, according to the Evesham, N.J., Police Department Monday.

Richardson was identified April 7 as the fourth suspect in the April 20, 2005, jewelry story robbery in which more than $900,000 in jewelry was stolen, the newspaper reports.

Two of the four suspects—David Rufus Briley, 36, and Carlos Edward Santos, 28, both of Philadelphia—each were charged in November with first-degree armed robbery and conspiracy and five other charges, police reportedly said. Briley and Santos are being held in prison in Pennsylvania on unrelated charges.

A third suspect, Michael Galloway, 37, of Philadelphia, was arrested Friday at his home in Philadelphia and charged with first-degree armed robbery and conspiracy and five other charges, the newspaper reports.

Galloway is being held in the Philadelphia Correctional System pending his extradition back to New Jersey.

Clothing and other items found in a stolen minivan used during the robbery connected Richardson to the Evesham robbery, police reportedly said.

Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine
JCK logo

Log Out

Are you sure you want to log out?

CancelLog out