The online auction house eBay reports that jewelry and watches accounted for $1.6 billion in transactions for the third quarter.
Jewelry and watches is considered by the San Jose, Calif.-based to be one of 12 “key categories” because it takes more than a billion dollars in transactions per quarter.
Overall for the quarter, eBay reported $1.1 billion in net revenue, up 37% over the same period for the previous year; operating income of $356.7 million, up 40% year over year, representing a 32% operating margin; and pro forma operating income of $393.6 million, up 44% year over year, representing a 36% pro forma operating margin.
Other key financial and operating measurements for the third quarter include:
* Consolidated Net Revenues totaled $1.106 billion, a 37% increase over the same period in 2004.
* U.S. marketplace net revenues totaled $449.5 million, a 29% year-over-year increase.
* International marketplace net revenues totaled $408.9 million, a 43% year-over-year increase.
* Active users, the number of users on the eBay platform who bid, bought, or listed an item within the previous 12-month period, increased to a record 68 million, a 32% increase over the 51.7 million active users reported in the same period a year ago.
* New listings totaled a record 458.6 million, 32% higher than the 348 million new listings reported in the third quarter of 2004.
* Gross Merchandise Volume, the total value of all successfully closed items on eBay’s trading platforms, was $10.8 billion, representing a 30% year-over-year increase.