Spring ready-to-wear shows in four key cities—New York, London, Milan, and Paris—took place in September, resulting in a fresh crop of clothing trends. Jewelers need to take note in order to stock cases with the right pieces to complement the necklines and silhouettes of the season. Sheer fashions were among the spring 2014 clothing trends outlined in Fashion Trend Report: 10 Spring 2014 Clothing Trends Jewelers Must Know; here are five ways to adorn some of those sheer frocks.
We saw sheers last spring, and they’re back (albeit in a smaller display). Monique Lhuillier, Burberry Prorsum, and others offered pieces with floral effects on see-through fabric. Accessorize sheers with clear stones like rock crystal that allow a peek of skin, a metal-intense statement piece that will serve as contrast and not catch clothes, or earrings that sit far away from complicated fabrics.
1. Dress sheer fashions in quartz, a material that permits a peek of skin through the stone.
Pendant in 14k white gold with epidote quartz and diamonds, $10,800; Jorge Adeler
2. Adorn sheer outfits in sleek, metal-intense pieces that won’t catch on clothes.
Yours & Mine double band Ring in silver inscribed “Whatever our souls are made of, yours and mine are the same,” by Emily Brontë, $159; BB Becker
3. Wear studs or small drop earrings with sheers so as not to snag airy fabrics.
Drop earrings in 14k gold with 2.09 cts. t.w. yellow and colorless diamonds, $7,360; Effy Collection
4. Put on a collar necklace for contrast.
Magma collar necklace in oxidized silver with 18k gold accents, $1,690; Emanuela Duca
5. Slip on a metal-intense or diamond-dusted bangle or three for a shiny juxtaposition with the season’s matte-finished fabrics.
Bangle in 18k gold and 5.52 cts. t.w. diamonds, $15,500; Wideband
The Style 360 blog is your editorial source for the newest jewelry, trends, market analysis, trade show insights, designer profiles, and more.