Spring ready-to-wear shows in four key cities—New York, London, Milan, and Paris—took place in September, resulting in a fresh crop of clothing trends. Jewelers need to take note in order to stock cases with the right pieces to complement the necklines and silhouettes of the season. Looks bearing big logos were among the spring 2014 clothing trends outlined in “Fashion Trend Report: 10 Spring 2014 Clothing Trends Jewelers Must Know”; here are five ways to accessorize those bold prints.
Graphic Prints and Logos
Think nautical, flowers, abstract, words, and even gemstones (3.1 Philip Lim offered agate prints). Alexander Wang (many loved his sweatshirt emblazoned “Parental Advisory Explicit Content”) and Christian Dior are other creative souls who tapped into busy looks and logos. To accessorize, go for impact pieces with clean lines that won’t compete for attention, or a pop of color taken from a print.
1. Accessorize logos with stud earrings featuring clean lines so as not to compete with louder looks on the torso.
Gwen earrings in sterling silver from Spike collection, $105; Charles Garnier Paris
2. Dress prints in a jewel that bears one of the colors in the pattern to keep looks uncomplicated.
Florentine ring in 18k gold with 4.05 ct. turquoise cabochon and 0.64 ct. t.w. diamonds, $4,550; Jude Frances
3. Pair a watch with an outfit that has something to say to balance the information effect.
Weekender Slip Thru watch with nylon strap and multicolored dial, $45; Timex
4. Wear a metal-intense bangle to parallel bold logos.
5. Wear a dainty necklace with busy prints to offset—not compete with—looks.
Pendant in silver with 2.7 ct. blue topaz and 1 ct. t.w. white topaz, $119; Sterling Reputation
The Style 360 blog is your editorial source for the newest jewelry, trends, market analysis, trade show insights, designer profiles, and more.