Next week, I will be in Peru, reporting on some interesting developments in the jewelry business there. Hope to have a full report.
This week: Why Etsy engineers document their mistake. The most bitter ad for a used engagement ring ever. And two headlines I was embarrassed to print. All below.
Statement earrings steal show at 2015 Emmys.
– A Hollywood stylist takes People shopping.
Jewelry sales up in July, govt. says.
Ben Janowski looks at the “new consumer.”
Independents’ share of diamond jewelry market falls.
Looking again at the diamond industry’s favorite chart.
– Industry needs leadership, says Russell Mehta.
New synthetic melee screener developed.
– Thief switching jewelers’ diamonds on 47th Street.
– Georgia man indicted for trying to sell fake diamonds at nail salon.
The Tiffany-Costco litigation: A huge waste of time.
Jeweler gets court to identify anonymous Yelper.
Groupon laying off 1,110 employees.
Alibaba’s numbers fake?
– Business Insider begs to differ.
Why Etsy engineers have to document the mistakes they make.
Tiffany & Co. held discussion with Apple, CEO says.
– NY Times: New Watch OS only “slight” improvement.
– Walkthrough of new features.
– Watch “saved teen’s life.”
– Pebble CEO: We’re Swatch, Apple is Rolex.
Macy’s flagship debuts Millennial-specific floor.
Md. jeweler is now selling scooters.
Hope Spinel sets record at Bonham’s.
16.08 ct. pink diamond expected to fetch $23 million.
“Better mood” at Hong Kong show.
Angel Sanchez brand being tested at Sterling.
Frederick Goldman appoints Adam Gurian chief commercial officer.
RJC announces new standards and impacts director.
Riva Precision Manufacturing appoints new executives.
John Tighe named J.C. Penney chief merchant.
Adam Graham joins Black, Starr & Frost.
Alrosa appoints new VP.
“Miz Frances,” who worked in jewelry store for 64 years, dies.
Missouri attorney general sues gold buyer.
Exec charged in blood diamond tax fraud. That’s quite a headline.
Amnesty International to publish new report on Central African Republic diamonds.
Violence in Surat tarnishing industry’s image.
– Cutters irked by shutdown.
Brazil’s vaults fill up with diamonds amid downturn.
Stuck-in-elevator jewelry thief also swallowed ring.
The world’s largest gold earrings.
Danielle Max ponders Pantone.
Pamela Anderson auctioning off her engagement ring.
A look at Elizabeth Taylor’s diamond collection (and other stuff).
Diamonds improve the sound of BMW stereo.
Man advertises $12,000 diamond ring with quite bitter ad on Craigslist.
Men’s rights activists say a ring should be contingent on … well, you can read it yourself. Oy.
– De Beers’ Stephen Lussier talks to Bloomberg. (Video)
– The Market Mogul looks at industry’s problems.
– Marketwatch’s Moneyologist asks how much you should spend on an engagement ring.
– Bustle says the history of the engagement ring is short.
– HuffPost UK Lifestyle blogger touts sustainable diamonds.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on Facebook and LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.