Just got a physical from Dr. Oz
This week: Is the Swiss watch industry “doomed”? Trying to wean shoppers off sales. Actress’ ring provokes jeers. All below.
Burmese ruby, jade ban likely to be lifted.
Interview with Michael Hill North American president Brett Halliday.
Retail sales “still in slow lane.”
– Retailers look to wean shoppers off of discounts.
Sears, Kmart about to shut down, says Moody’s.
Tiffany management shake-up rumors.
– Tiffany & Co. appoints new CFO.
– Has most passionate fans on social media.
Report: Signet faces discrimination class action.
– Cowen downgrades Signet stock.
New Diamond Technologies produces record-breaking synthetic 10.07 ct. blue.
– Alrosa pondering synthetic diamond production?
Swiss jeweler acquires 813 ct. rough stone for $63 million.
World Diamond Council: Synthetics, Maurice Tempelsman—and blueberries.
There are “few new diamond projects in the works.”
– Diamond miners increasingly look to the sea.
De Beers CEO Bruce Cleaver pens article on Namibian diamonds.
New Hong Kong online exchange debuts.
– South China Morning Post talks up diamonds as an investment.
Diamond company (Almod?) sets up shop in Miami.
Second Jewelry Industry Summit set for Tucson.
Quality Gold buys NAJ.
Brilliant Earth opens Chicago showroom.
Amazon still wants pop-up stores.
Richemont’s sales fall 16 percent.
– How Cartier plans to polish sales (video).
– $600,000 watch shows risk of extending luxury brands.
Thousands of Wal-Mart workers still hoping for $10 per hour raise.
Target opening dozens of small-format stores.
H&M may be repeating Macy’s mistakes.
“Swiss watch industry is doomed,” TechCrunch says.
Swatch wins over Apple in iWatch battle.
– Series 2 is “first real Apple Watch.”
Smartwatch sales to hit $17.8 billion in 2020.
– Smartwatches “getting good.”
– Microsoft may call it quits on fitness wearables.
How near-field communication could change the diamond industry.
– An end to blood diamonds?
Illegal miners in Kimberley threaten Petra.
– “Invade Kimberley suburb.”
Cooks, cleaners at Gahcho Kué consider strike.
Frederick Goldman names Noah Pearce director of quality engineering.
Rockwell Diamonds CEO resigns.
Turquoise Capital Corp. merges with Five Star Diamonds Ltd.
XO Group acquires How He Asked.
Jewels on the runway at New York Fashion Week.
Will major jewelers return to Biennale des Antiquaires?
Shinola to open hotel.
Alex and Ani offers jewelry with Statue of Liberty copper.
Fabergé talks up diamond alternatives.
Florida jeweler Christopher Kaufmann targeted by another lawsuit.
Texans indicted in diamond investment scheme.
Indian diamond trader goes missing.
Alrosa geologist killed by bear.
Family of “Diamond” Joe Gutnick looking for diamonds again.
Lost ring found with help of metal detector.
– Newlywed’s rings found in taxi.
Man makes wedding ring out of glass bottle.
Rare gold Roman coin found in Jerusalem.
Celebs at Cartier event reflect on diamonds.
People question Amanda Seyfried’s engagement ring.
Should a woman choose her own engagement ring? Vogue debates.
Australian newspaper calls engagement rings a “con job.”
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.