Happy Diwali to all who celebrate!
This week: Macy’s closing stores. Was Beny Steimetz betrayed by CEO? Vet reunited with lost ring. All below.
The lab-grown diamond producer backed by Leonardo DiCaprio.
12 ct. blue is now the most expensive diamond ever sold at auction.
– Christie’s: One pink sets record, one doesn’t sell.
– Fugitive father bought record-setting stones for his 7-year-old.
– Also this week: Wristwatch sets auction record.
– Avi Krawitz: Will high auction prices boost the market?
Indian industry plans diamond promotional campaign.
– The two-stone ring and the industry’s past, present, and future.
– De Beers latest sight: Just $70 million.
– Lucara Diamond has “blow-out” quarter.
Pandora’s U.S. charm, bracelet sales hurt by promotional shift.
– Conference call transcript.
Fossil buys Misfit.
TAG Heuer releases first connected watch.
– Connected watch for people who don’t like smartwatches.
– Bad packaging?
– Is luxury smartwatch an oxymoron?
BaubleBar partners with Target for tech accessories line.
New Apple Watch coming in June?
EGL court fight ends in a draw.
Amnesty, SEC denied rehearing in conflict minerals case.
Costco denied appeal in Tiffany trademark case.
J.C. Penney settles false discounting lawsuit.
– Company “beats department store doldrums.”
Macy’s closing more stores.
– CEO: Stores still matter.
Chow Tai Fook warns profits may plunge as much as 50 percent.
Chinese brand Qeelin coming to U.S. market.
Happy Singles’ Day, China’s largest online shopping day.
– Michelle Graff: Should jewelers take advantage?
– Danielle Max ponders.
Webrooms are Blue Nile’s attempt to build a brand.
How diamonds overcame failure to establish ISO standards.
Was Steinmetz betrayed by CEO over diamond mine?
– Former CEO speaks (subscription required).
Afghanistan sets up gem bourse to stop smuggling.
Atlas Jewellery owner gets three years for bounced checks.
Indiana jeweler killed, first industry homicide this year.
Beasley retires as head of Charles & Colvard.
– Conference call transcript.
Bruce Cleaver leaves De Beers post, joins Anglo.
Brad Brooks-Rubin leaves GIA for Enough Project.
Diamond exchange coming in Portugal?
Beth Bernstein’s five favorite anecdotes from If These Jewels Could Talk.
Lee Michaels CEO’s best advice he ever heard.
Queen of England could face lawsuit over Koh-i-Noor.
Vietnam veteran reunited with class ring.
The Economist on the Indian cutting industry.
The New York Times (and JCK editor-in-chief) on female watch buyers.
Scientist smashes 8 ct. diamond in name of science.
Time talks about alternatives to diamonds.
Podcast discusses whether diamonds are BS.
Techinsider on determining if a diamond is real.
San Diego TV station profiles GIA (video).
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email at rbates at jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine