Linco de Mayo
This week: Gold stages a comeback. Can Etsy do the same? Does J.C. Penney need another one? All below.
700 jewelers called it quits over last year. (Note: Headline/story has been corrected.)
Blue Nile sees sales fall, halts sales to South Dakota.
– Earnings call transcript.
Frederick Goldman acquires Karl Lagerfeld license.
Endless Jewelry overhauls management team, including CEO.
Gold hits 15-month high (subscription required).
– Watch the dollar.
– Bad news for Tiffany?
Michelle Graff looks at Mother’s Day jewelry commercials.
Paul Zimnisky: Diamond industry has improved without question.
– De Beers helping Anglo’s outlook.
– New De Beers campaign targets Indian consumers.
Diamond exchange launching in Singapore.
Why can’t natural and lab-grown diamond industries get along?
– The surprising resilience of diamond engagement rings.
Charles & Colvard hires Tacori, Richline veterans.
– Earnings call transcript.
Aéropostale files for Chapter 11.
– Why the retailer has lost its cool.
J.C. Penney takes “emergency measures” to stay afloat.
First Cash buying Cash America in mega-pawn deal.
Hollie Bonneville Barden named creative director of John Hardy.
Winsome Diamonds splits over board member.
Alain Riguidel named president of Kering luxury watch division, North America.
De Beers finance chief may move to Anglo.
Noted Pennsylvania jeweler Byard F. Brogan Jr. dies.
Veteran diamond journalist M.D. Deewani dies.
Argyle selling 2.83 ct. violet diamond.
Sotheby’s auctioning 1,109 ct. Lesedi la Rona diamond.
Etsy’s plan for a comeback.
Coach may be making bands for Apple Watch.
Have Swiss watchmaking values been eroded?
Battle over “Red Gold” trademark continues.
Court battle brewing over South Dakota sales tax law.
Jewelers of America reps head to Washington.
Ha’aretz paints unsavory picture of Israeli Diamond Exchange.
Fashion brands called out for secret supply chains.
Boston jewelers won’t team up with developer (subscription required).
Former South Carolina jeweler accused of murdering wife.
What’s going on at Condé Nast.
Hamilton Jewelers wins American Business Award.
New Omega film shows planet’s time running out.
Miley Cyrus flashes engagement ring.
– So does Kate Upton.
Ear climbers, colorless stones rule Met gala.
– Neil Lane critiques Madonna’s look.
New 2 ct. brown diamond found at Arkansas park.
Gold bars from highway heist turn up, deepening mystery.
Rolex fans waiting two years for new Daytonas.
Israelis, Palestinians wear the same pendants (subscription required).
Model of Oskar Schindler’s gold ring donated by jeweler’s son.
– AOL on how much consumers should spend on engagement ring.
– Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on synthetic diamonds.
– Daily Beast on whether millennials have fallen out of love with diamonds.
– CNBC profiles the Mouawads.
– Interview with Harry Winston CEO Nayla Hayek.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine