Diamond Shavings: Sorry for the realness since 2007
This week: Apple Watch sales sink. Why brick-and-mortar has a chance. Zale building now a historic landmark. All below.
Richline buys John C. Nordt.
U.S. jewelry sales show growth in first quarter.
Major retailers report downbeat first quarter.
– Are U.S. department stores “broken”?
– Analysts consider why.
– Landlords freaking out.
– What will happen to the inventory?
– Is Amazon set to conquer the clothes market?
T.J. Maxx bucks the trend.
Peter Smith on reactions to “future of retail.”
Former J.C. Penney CEO: Don’t neglect your stores!
How one online retailer wants to fix discounting.
Oppenheimer Blue now the most valuable jewel—ever.
– 15 ct. Unique Pink scores $31 million.
– Watch auction breaks records.
Lab-grown diamond sales triple but are still small.
– Chaim Even-Zohar: Complete article on Swarovski.
Demand for gold jewelry strong in the United States.
Is time up for watchmakers?
Bloomberg looks at Pandora.
– Transcript of last week’s conference call.
IDC: Apple Watch sales tapering off.
– The “iPod of the future.”
– Apple Watch 2 release date and rumors.
Why Blue Nile no longer ships to South Dakota.
World Diamond Congress calls for transparency.
– Reuters looks at De Beers and the state of the industry.
– “Diamond financing remains a challenge.”
“Sense of loss” grows from De Beers’ move from Charterhouse Street.
De Beers, Namibia sign new agreement.
Rio Tinto has dug up 100 million cts. from Diavik.
Anjin denies smuggling Zimbabwe diamonds to China.
– “Mystery deepens.”
Sally Morrison joins Gemfields.
Rue La La names Mark McWeeny CEO.
Target names Nordstrom exec its chief merchandiser.
RealReal opens valuation office in San Francisco.
Tiffany CEO now principal financial officer.
Woman says Kay Jewelers lost her engagement ring.
Renovated Zale building designated historical landmark.
Kim Kardashian wowed by 404 ct. diamond.
Miley Cyrus wears engagement ring on Tonight Show.
News anchor hits back at critique of jewelry.
Did paramedic steal James Gandolfini’s Rolex?
Imelda Marcos’ multimillion dollar jewelry bill.
Tiffany exec claims being fired for saying “Jews killed Jesus.”
Watch a diamond shatter under pressure.
HuffingtonPost/I Do Now I Don’t on used diamonds.
Vogue talks to Diamond Foundry.
Business Insider talks to Jacob the Jeweler.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.