Special Friday the 13th edition. Hockey mask not required
This week: Are department stores dying? Red carpet jewelry secrets. And a bizarre new spin on body jewelry. All below.
Swarovski jumps into lab-grown diamond business.
– Board member: They are a “big opportunity.”
– Chaim Even-Zohar: “Game changer.”
– Should industry embrace them?
Pandora U.S. revenue jumps 13 percent.
Kohl’s, Nordstrom results show retail jitters.
– Nordstrom: “Tougher trends in jewelry.”
– Jewelry strong at Kohl’s.
Chart shows department stores “are dying.”
– Is “slob trend” hurting retail?
Macy’s revamping jewelry department amid falling comps.
– Earnings call transcript.
– Targets millennials with wedding business.
Tiffany resigns from anti-counterfeiting group.
– Mass departures likely after Alibaba joins.
Diamond sale breaks rough record—for now.
– Avi Krawitz: “A significant sale.”
– Sotheby’s upbeat about jewelry sales.
Ehud Laniado: Look at diamonds as assets, not expenditures.
De Beers, Namibia to sign new deal soon.
The story behind the biggest diamond ever found in North America.
Why the NGOs and Dubai still can’t get along.
– Dubai wants global rough pricing standard.
Putin approves sale of Alrosa shares.
De Beers looking for new mine in South Africa.
Are Botswana diamonds a Trojan horse?
Dubai’s Citigate launches diamond mine in Sierra Leone.
Big jewelry names shun Biennale des Antiquaires.
Titan acquires CaratLane.
Department stores are investing significantly in wearables.
Apple Watch now attracts more females, survey says.
– Time.com: Apple made watch because of Steve Jobs.
– CIO.com: More likely, because of money.
– Former CEO: Watch lacks utility.
Cartier aims for younger consumers (subscription required).
Demand for gold jewelry grows in United States, down everywhere else.
– Goldman Sachs raises gold price forecast.
Lawsuit claims $270,000 diamond is “fake.”
Jeweler arrested for allegedly pawning customers’ jewelry.
J.C. Penney worker allegedly took illegal jewelry discount.
Jewelers in Greece a little nervous.
Burberry, Cartier lead field in Chinese e-commerce.
Tiffany chief financial officer resigns.
John Costello named publisher of Rapaport Group.
Cartier to display Grace Kelly diamonds.
Marilyn Monroe jewelry going up for sale.
Kim Kardashian shows off Cartier bracelet.
The New York Times looks at how stars sport jewelry on the Cannes red carpet.
How a diamond rush lead to an ancient underwater secret.
Detroit gun buyback changes firearms to jewelry.
Artist claims he made earrings from his nipples.
– Al Jazeera special on diamonds (video).
– Quartz: How superstition can get you a great deal on an engagement ring.
– XOJane: Why woman upgraded her engagement ring.
– Financial Times visits the Israeli bourse.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.