Is the industry growing or slowing? TV station criticizes pawnshop interest rates. John Mayer has become a timepiece-geek icon. All below.
Feast of Famine?
– Jewelry spending up 25 months in a row, says MasterCard.
– Mother’s Day jewelry spending to increase.
– Commerce Department: Jewelry sales weak for fifth consecutive month.
– Or maybe sixth.
The industry starts to feel the millennial pinch.
Larger stores taking bigger chunk of diamond sales.
– Five observations about the U.S. jewelry market.
11 perspectives on brick-and-mortar stores.
– Eight ways luxury buying will change.
– Bill Farmer receives 2015 Shipley Award.
– Eight great takeaways.
– AGS shows why conferences are important.
– Rapaport ethics presentation.
Can Thomas Sabo become another Pandora?
Charles & Colvard sales up, but it still posts loss.
Baltimore jewelers look forward after unrest.
Pawnshop interest rates criticized.
Shreve & Co. moving from Shreve Building.
Tiffany & Co. may join Uber delivery pilot.
Gold likely to erase 2015 gains.
Anglo American—and maybe even De Beers—may get new owner.
Diamond dealers becoming “more disciplined.”
– Sightholders expecting substantial price decrease.
– Open letter to De Beers CEO.
Weakening rupee raising rough diamond prices.
De Beers focuses on extracting diamonds from mining waste.
Lab-grown diamond producer Scio doubling production levels.
African diamond producers unenthusiastic about local polishing.
Jewelers protest trial of Blood Diamonds journalist.
– Trial delayed.
Zimbabwe suspends diamond tax.
India’s jewelry exports might hit four-year high.
Apple Watch “not designed for the long haul.”
– Tattoos cause watch to malfunction.
– Faulty taptic engine slows rollout.
– Digital crown gets “sticky.”
– Costs $84 to build.
– Ubergizmo tests if it uses real sapphire.
TAG Heuer smartwatch will sell for around $1,300.
– What we know about TAG Heuer’s watch.
Samsung teaming with fashion brands, artists for round smartwatch.
Online fashion mall Lyst raises $40 million.
Following lawsuit, NoMoreRack rebrands as Choxi.
New bracelet aimed at safety.
Colored stones smash estimates in Bonhams’ sale.
Christie’s: Elizabeth Taylor’s trust owes us $8 million.
Still operational issues at J.C. Penney stores.
J.C. Penney hires chief customer and marketing officer.
Terry Pasch named director of sales at Simon G. and Zeghani.
Michael Meyers out as CEO of Fast-Fix.
Boucheron president and CEO resigns.
Jeweler’s Row abduction suspect appears in court.
Killers of jeweler pleads guilty, sentenced.
Hatton Garden safety deposit box owner: Police haven’t contacted him.
Former De Beers sightholder Walter David dies.
Former Israeli Exchange director Michael Cohen dies.
Kobold Watches supports disaster relief efforts in Nepal.
Antwerp forges new diamond ties with Turkey.
Story behind philanthropic jewelry company.
Stornoway gets investment from Blackstone.
Exhibit features abstract pictures of diamonds.
3.69 ct. diamond discovered at Crater of Diamonds State Park.
Doberman eats three wristwatches.
Chopard launches Happy Diamonds campaign.
Beyoncé endorsement blew up jewelry designer’s brand.
Maci Bookout wears diamond ring at baby shower.
John Mayer talks about watch obsession.
Los Angeles Times on “too good to be true” gemstone deals.
Adweek likes new Pandora ad.
France24 interviews De Beers CEO Philippe Mellier (video).
Australian publication on the history of diamond “misery.”
World Policy blog calls Kimberley Process “easy virtue.”
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine