First, on a self-promotional note, on April 10 at 3:25 p.m., I will be moderating a panel on the “The Journey Toward Responsible Sourcing and Gaining Consumer Trust in the Retail Market” at the Initiatives in Arts and Culture’s fifth annual gold conference in New York City. More details here.
And I will also be emceeing the American Gem Society Conclave next month in New Orleans. Should be a lot of fun.
This week: Zooey Deschanel’s engagement ring. A teenage diamond expert. And more banks enter the business. All below.
Signet testing new store concept: Le Vian by Jared.
– Earnings call transcript.
Specialty jewelers lose market share as millennials take over.
– Affluent shoppers cut spending.
– The stats look good. But why don’t people feel it?
First Blue Nile retail store likely to open on Long Island.
How Ice.com wants to disrupt the jewelry business.
Amazon in talks to buy Net-A-Porter.
– Talks may still fall apart.
Interview with new CEO of Charles & Colvard.
Hearts On Fire planning global advertising campaign.
Antwerp diamond auction flops. Warning signal?
– Charles Wyndham: Really a bumper year? Worth reading.
– Rapaport: De Beers sight “destabilizing” markets.
– Avi Krawitz: Diamond manufacturers struggle.
ABN Amro to start gem, jewelry lending in India.
– Barclays may be lending to diamond dealers in Africa.
– Why the diamond business lacks “bankability.”
Standard Chartered takes over Winsome Diamonds’ assets.
More undisclosed synthetics appearing at GIA.
– No action taken yet against trader who “mixed” synthetics.
Diamond trader, head of diamond fraud unit both arrested.
Christie’s sued in row over $40 million Princie Diamond.
– Basel’s ugliest watches, according to Bloomberg.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger appears.
– Swatch “optimistic” about 2015 sales.
Rolex offshoot brand Tudor threatening rivals.
Bulgari launches NFC-enabled watch.
– Breitling watch allows for notifications.
– Kenneth Cole introduces smartwatch.
Some luxury watchmakers cheering on Apple Watch.
– Great watchmaker calls Apple Watch “bland.”
– TAG Heuer: Apple Watch is “not a watch.”
– Watchmaker face a storm called “utility.”
– Top Apple designer left to create his own watch.
– High-end Apple Watch buyers will get more sales time.
– Employees will provide fashion advice.
– Apple cutting watch shipments in half.
– Reports “overblown.”
– Steve Wozniak thinks high-end watch is bad idea.
“Why I returned my Ringly.”
How the gold price is tied to the dollar.
Standard & Poors isn’t worried about Tiffany.
Will Sotheby’s again fall to corporate hubris?
– 23 ct. D flawless diamond, 77 ct. yellow diamond top Sotheby’s sale.
India expected to outpace China’s growth rate.
– Gold price in China may drop.
Zimbabwe government taking control of Rio Tinto diamond mine.
– As much as $12 billion in diamonds stolen from Zimbabwe.
– Mbada workers strike.
– Marange rape victims “suffer in silence.”
– Diamond miners on “last-minute looting spree.”
Rafael Marques de Morais stands trial for defamation.
– Gets charges increased.
– Review of book.
– Morais’ past interview with JCK.
– Danielle Max: Why we need to rock the boat. Also well worth reading.
Smugglers in Central African Republic defy Kimberley Process ban.
– Will it get embargo lifted?
Conflict minerals rule cost the SEC a lot.
Whistleblower flies claim against J.C. Penney.
Woman unhappy about replacement ring from Kay.
Jeweler likely killed wife, then himself.
More than $1 million in watches stolen from watchmaker.
Zalemark names CEO and director of Crayola line.
Bonhams adds to jewelry department.
Fake “diamond” made of blood slides.
Diamond mailed to Australian police station.
Gold found in human waste.
– Designer makes jewelry from discarded metals.
Diamond-eyed Easter bunny.
The teenage diamond expert.
Necklace saves a woman’s life.
Zooey Deschanel flashes engagement ring.
– And Britney Spears just wears hers.
– CNBC reporter goes to the Graff store.
– Al Jazeera interviews De Beers CEO.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine