Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Diamond O’Shavings
This week: Has Alex and Ani reached a plateau? The inside story of the biggest jewelry theft of the century. Plus, the biggest billionaires in the diamond industry. All below.
Alex and Ani revenue growth may have plateaued, still may go public next year.
Tiffany’s results beat estimates.
– Company’s woes: Are teens to blame?
February U.S. retail sales slump.
De Beers jumps into diamond buyback business.
– David Brummer: Secondhand is okay.
– Service makes The New York Post.
The company behind those freakishly large lab-grown diamonds.
Indian diamond traders target mixing of lab-growns.
Interview with IIa Technologies CEO.
Banks want to shame Winsome’s directors.
– Public outcry over defaults brings up Winsome case.
Diamond industry struggles with “credit addiction.”
– Diamond prices slowly recovering.
– Alrosa’s sales fell 24 percent in 2015.
– Business of Fashion looks at distress in diamond market.
Strike brings Indian diamond industry to a halt.
Pandora plans new ad campaign (subscription required).
Hublot considering smartwatch.
Ask Siri for a Breitling, it’ll promote the Apple Watch.
– Apple Watch a hit, but a sleeper?
– Apple cofounder slams it as jewelry.
TAG Heuer suspends relationship with Maria Sharapova.
Raymond Weil creates Beatles watch.
Victoria Gomelsky in The New York Times: Watch brands looking for new era of smart.
– Wall Street Journal: Cutting through Baselworld “hype.”
J.C. Penney: Retail turnaround of the century?
Neiman Marcus hurt by oil and gas slump.
Lord & Taylor settles FTC charges.
Washington state finds elevated levels of heavy metals in jewelry.
Hawaii jeweler busted for selling illegal ivory.
North Carolina jeweler sent to prison for unauthorized sales of customers’ jewelry.
Vanity Fair tells the story of Hatton Garden jewelry heist.
How hackers and pirates conspired to steal millions in diamonds.
Why last week’s press reports about the Kimberley Process were completely wrong.
Mugabe interview confirms diamond looting.
De Beers mine in Canada on track to start in first half.
Women find it hard to climb De Beers corporate ladder.
Claudia Evan Zale joins Gregg Ruth.
Hannah Connorton joins JCK’s LUXURY show.
Overstock.com partners with Andy Hilfiger.
Customers put off by jewelers’ phone manner.
Diamond Doctor, Southwest Diamond Cutters open Texas diamond cutter.
Biggest engagement ring in The Bachelor history?
Lots of bling at Donald Trump victory party.
Purple Heart sold as cheap jewelry.
Man who stole 50 ct. diamond now a Thai monk.
Diamonds can be formed by asteroid colliding with Earth.
– HuffPo: What happens if you hate your engagement ring.
– HuffPo: History’s most insane jewelry heists.
– Refinery29 profiles indie jewelry brands.
– TriplePundit/Tiffany sustainability officer on supporting artisanal miners.
– The Australian: Diamond and emerald miners “cleaning up their acts.”
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: Rbates – at – jckonline.com
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine