This week: The new mystery diamond treatment could be a game changer. Kit can turn any Apple Watch “gold.” And how Tiffany is quietly playing the logo game. All below.
Vegas show improved trade confidence.
– Points to “good” season.
– 10 things Edahn Golan learned.
– Six topics on showgoer’s minds.
Jewelry, watch sales log seventh straight month of declines.
– High earners remain frugal.
The new diamond group won’t be what you think.
– Why De Beers shouldn’t use “A Diamond Is Forever.”
– Rapaport write-up of NCDIA, De Beers JCK panels.
– Transcript of De Beers CEO’s talk at JCK show.
– Why the entire diamond industry is becoming vertically integrated.
GIA close to solving mystery treatment.
– Will treatment be a game changer?
Lab-grown diamonds now sold at Helzberg, Sam’s Club.
Retailers can now sell products from Pinterest.
Ring selfies could lead to thefts, insurer warns.
Diamond thefts leading to spike in insurance costs (subscription required).
Le Vian by Jared store debuts in Roosevelt Field.
– As does the new Blue Nile store.
Jewelry summit raising funds on Indiegogo.
Frédérique Constant builds its own smartwatch.
Swatch smartwatch set for August launch.
TAG Heuer smartwatch to be called the Carrera Wearable 01. (Although this report quotes the CEO, a company spokesperson says no name has been chosen.)
How other luxury watchmakers are responding to smartwatches.
– Watchmakers try to outflank Apple in Switzerland.
Researcher: Apple Watch is company’s most successful launch ever.
– Other analyst: Sales are “weak.”
– Watches finally coming to company stores.
Did Michael Kors become “too basic” for its own good?
Tiffany’s T collection displays logo “quietly.”
JTV seeks designer submissions.
Zalemark not merging with Bergio International.
Gitanjali’s sales up, loss narrows.
– Looking to refinance debt.
– Defers repayments amid cash crunch.
Chow Tai Fook revenue falls 25 percent.
– CTF considered buying pearl brand Tasaki.
Alrosa profits rise.
Christie’s jewelry auction sets record for Asia.
Blood Diamonds journalist Rafael Marques de Morais gets suspended sentence.
– Celebrities sign petition urging Angola to drop charges.
– Publisher reposts book.
Chopard forges strong links with small-scale miners.
Tanzanite small-scale miners says gem dealers exploiting them.
Union members battle Mbada Diamonds management.
– Claims miners bribed newspaper.
Pebble mine case advances.
Conflict gold case against Swiss refiner dropped.
Signet conflict minerals report.
Christina Miller steps down as head of Ethical Metalsmiths.
Wal-Mart chairman steps down.
Noah Illinski joins Northeastern Fine Jewelry.
Two more men arrested in Jewelers’ Row abduction.
Surat Diamond Association wants industry-only police station.
New York introduces new jewelry repair legislation.
Man held for trying to dupe Singapore diamond traders.
Cop busted for buying diamond ring with dead man’s credit card.
Thieves steal widow’s ring as she lies in hospital bed.
Metal detector finds lost engagement ring.
2,000-year-old natural pearl found at remote site.
De Beers expands migratory bird study.
Interview with director of documentary Sharing the Rough.
New kit turns Apple Watches “gold.”
The deal on Iggy Azalea’s engagement ring.
– And Nastia Liukin’s.
Floyd Mayweather goes on $500,000 Diamond District shopping spree.
Financial Times on De Beers’ new Surat facility (subscription required).
Racked on the history of the diamond ring.
Nine wearable tech jewelry pieces Bustle is excited about.
From the blog:
My interview with Susan Jacques and Tom Moses.
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine