This week. When a mall turns ghostly. A lawsuit for Alex and Ani. Man makes engagement ring out of part of his leg. All below.
Jewelry demand remained sluggish in April.
Why luxury brands are in trouble: Label backlash.
– Upscale brands ignoring 2.6 billion consumers online.
– Should big brands keep their fights private?
– China falls out of love with luxury.
Endless Jewelry founder: We want to be the next super-brand.
Texas jeweler sues Urban Outfitters over design.
Former Alex and Ani employee sues company.
“Red gold” is generic, court finds.
Mystery diamond treatment also found at IGI.
– Full Chaim Even-Zohar piece.
It’s a Sad Sad Sad Diamond Industry
– Industry coping with “perfect storm of challenges.”
– Avi Krawitz: Profitability tops the list.
– Alrosa doesn’t see recovery in diamond prices this year.
– Rough prices still too high at June sight.
– Edahn Golan: The longest diamond industry recession.
– Vinod Kuriyan: Diamond industry must be demand-driven.
Another Surat firm defaults on payments.
– Promissory notes to replace paper notes in Indian diamond trade.
– Second-hand diamonds “flooding India.”
– Polished exports from India fall 10 percent.
Israeli bank to increase lending to the trade.
Diamond miners initiate first dividends.
Enough Project: Diamonds still funding armed groups in Central African Republic.
– Full report.
Zimbabwe to study Botswana diamond model.
Ben Janowski tracks man-made diamonds “tipping points.”
– The Telegraph asks if it’s wrong to propose with a lab-grown diamond.
Selling diamonds with blue fluorescence—as a positive.
Online sales tax closer than ever, proponents say.
Study: TV ads still effective amid digital media.
Net-a-Porter is now profitable.
Why “buy” buttons may not work on social media.
Could smartwatch be “best thing to happen to Swiss watch industry”?
– Swiss watch exports fall most in five years.
Demand for wearable tech to “explode next year.”
Apple Watch not yet a home run with users, survey says.
– Company making “big profits” from bands.
– Store getting “premium feel.”
– Already working on Apple Watch 2.
UPS Capital buys Parcel Pro.
Stuller named Gary Davis vice president of sales.
New CEO named at Origami Owl.
Chris Halkyard joins Rent the Runway.
Mike Alexander joins Jewelers Mutual.
Breitling is moving.
– Anglo American may be too.
Jeweler gets prison on his birthday.
Kate Moss jewelry designer fined for selling animal claws.
Police officer accused of stealing jewelry during DEA sting.
Brazil police break up illegal tourmaline mining operation.
Gold miners invaded indigenous Amazon reserve.
The lives of Thailand’s counterfeiters.
U.S. Marshals to auction Madoff jewels.
A-listers show up for Jacob the Jeweler’s birthday.
Nas talks about his love for diamonds.
Patriots partied with their diamond-covered Super Bowl rings.
– Is it really the largest ever?
– Tom Brady rocks all his rings.
North West wears her father’s diamond-encrusted gold chain.
Man turns amputated leg into ring.
1.25-pound gold necklace found on 2,500-year-old French corpse.
Designer models jewelry with hairless cats.
Texas tycoon proposes with $10,000 diamond ring martini.
Ghostly looks inside abandoned malls.
Scientists film “shock waves” in a diamond.
Diamonds make non-stick frying pans.
Pope Francis mentions “blood diamonds” in encyclical.
Sky Atlantic thriller, The Last Panthers, portrays jewel thieves.
Haaretz recalls drowning of Barney Barnato.
Glamour has ways to make your engagement ring look bigger.
Cheat Sheet is down on spending a lot of money on engagement rings.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine