May aggregation be forgot, for auld links syne
This week: Five predictions for retail for the year ahead. How the watch industry could enjoy a “smartwatch boom.” And the ring that “brands” men. All below.
National Jeweler: Jewelers report having best season in years.
– The Centurion: Luxury watch jewelers have strong finish.
– Amazon sold a watch every 1.5 seconds this holiday.
– NPD: Week before Christmas came in the best.
The Year Just Passed
– 2016 roll call of departing jewelers.
– Five trends that shaped retail.
– Retail’s winners and losers.
– The year “trust returned to the diamond industry.”
– Diamond year-in-review quiz.
– My 10 favorite jewelry promotions.
The Year Ahead
– Five predictions for retail.
– Seven trends for apparel retail.
– Macy’s closing 68 stores by the middle of the year.
The New York Times: Department stores, once anchor slots, “becoming millstones.”
Aurum Holdings, owner of U.K. jewelers, may be sold.
J.C. Penney sells its headquarters.
– Employees win settlement for 401(k) losses in Ron Johnson era.
Alibaba sues vendors over alleged fake watches.
Hermès cracks down on companies selling fake bracelets.
Verragio cracking down on copycat designs.
New website offers customized timepieces.
Citizen completes integration of Bulova.
LVMH watch head sees “smartwatch boom.”
Google will introduce two new smartwatches.
– Fossil to release over 300.
– Third Apple Watch coming this year, report says.
Diamond commodity contracts set to debut in India.
Lesedi La Rona soon to be sold again.
One man’s search for diamonds in Sierra Leone.
Israeli Tax Authority gives traders two months to disclose books.
India’s cash policy delays Surat jewelry fair.
– Diamond traders burn Indian prime minister’s effigy.
Indian diamond industry tries to fight fraud.
Employees cheat Surat-based diamond company.
Grace Mugabe defends diamond ring deal.
$6 million in diamonds stolen on New Year’s Eve.
Millions more discovered stolen in last year’s Hatton Garden heist.
Female jewelry store robber pleads guilty to more robberies.
Beny Steinmetz released from house arrest.
Remembered: J. & S.S. DeYoung salesman Aster Dye.
Martha’s Vineyard jeweler Cheryl Stark dies.
Jean-Claude Biver becomes interim head of Zenith.
Sam’s Club CEO resigns.
IDCA re-elects president, VP.
Jewelry publicist becomes head of local PR group.
Synthetic diamonds may replace GPS, help with driverless cars.
– Researchers grow “needlelike diamonds.”
What diamonds tell us about the center of the Earth.
Pebble mine backers look to Trump.
Harry Potter–themed diamond engagement rings.
Pizza with gold flakes.
$100,000 diamond headphones.
New ring brands men as “married.”
Bizarre silicone jewelry gives you extra body parts.
Serena Williams shows off big engagement ring on Reddit.
Priyanka Chopra likes big diamonds, yachts.
Man proposes near waterfall, drops ring in it.
Time.com writer blames herself for theft of mother’s jewelry.
MTV.com writer pretends she’s shopping for an engagement ring.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine