This week: Diamond middlemen in danger. Fashion bloggers work in sweatshop. John Hardy’s racy ad campaign. All below.
1 in 5 consumers buying jewelry for Valentine’s Day.
Did jewelry industry lose out in 2014?
Scott Kay line premiering on QVC Super Bowl Sunday with designer’s daughter.
Alex and Ani plans retail expansion.
– Thistle & Bee planning first store.
In retail, everything old is new again.
– Consumers love Nordstrom, but not Wal-Mart.
– Meet the average Wal-Mart shopper.
Christie’s still leading jewelry auctioneer.
– Sotheby’s sees record year too.
An anthropologist on why people want diamonds.
De Beers’ price changes “didn’t go far enough.”
– Rough prices are dropping, Petra CEO says.
– Gem Diamonds sees prices staying weak.
– Analysts don’t see dramatic slide.
– CNN asks: “Time to buy?”
IDMA president objects to De Beers’ CEO’s comments in JCK.
– And Chaim Even-Zohar objects to his comments.
Antwerp courts bankers at Davos.
Financial trading in diamonds “just a matter of time.”
Does melee screener mistake naturals for synthetics? (De Beers responds the device is just a screening device that refers certain stones for further testing.)
– IIa Technologies hosts “diamond roundtable.”
Apple Watch coming in April, CEO says.
– It won’t have much battery life, report says.
– Why it may not matter.
– Big unanswered question: How will it be sold?
– Seeing Apple Watch turns columnist into “believer.”
– Apple products now the big luxury gifts in China.
Can smartwatches have independent connection?
– Could smartwatch be killed by etiquette?
Rise of franc is serious for watch business.
– Watchmaker threatens to move to Germany.
– No rush among mainland Chinese buyers.
GIA changing colored stone, pearl reports.
Gold sees huge daily drop.
– Will gold top $1,300 again?
– Hedge funds buying lots of gold.
– So is Russia.
Rio Tinto threatens to close Murowa diamond mine.
India wants to cut out diamond middlemen.
The “desperate miners” who search De Beers’ tailings.
More diamonds being sold in Gaborone, Botswana.
Reality show sends fashion bloggers to work in a sweatshop.
U.N.: Conflict gold still being sold.
The Guardian on problems in the gold supply chain.
Gem-A debuts corporate social responsibility course.
Anglo American leads miners in social investment.
Ekati environmental assessment taking too long, miner says.
Diamond smuggler nabbed at Israeli airport.
– Congolese smuggler caught in Zimbabwe.
– Case in South Africa dropped.
– Six suspects arrested for stealing from diamond mine.
12-year-old helps pull of multimillion dollar diamond theft.
Man arrested for wearing the “wrong” jewelry.
– Charges dropped.
Florida gold hunter arrested.
Ohio jeweler clashes with neighbors over parking lot.
Jeweler helps reunite owner with ring.
New Tiffany merchant “great hire,” analyst says.
– Chicago store gets a makeover.
Tiffany vet named VP at Frederick Goldman
Norman Miller becomes publisher of Elite Traveler.
Hedda Schupak remembers Karen Good, wife of designer Michael Good.
Former Alrosa president dies.
$5,700 diamond necklace appraised at $125,000 on Antiques Roadshow.
Dazzling diamonds from the SAG Awards.
– Colored gems the star, Hollywood Reporter says.
Nikki Reed’s engagement ring.
New John Hardy campaign is kind of racy.
How a Super Bowl ring gets made.
– Pawn shop happy about Super Bowl ring.
– Gallery of Super Bowl rings.
Video of diamond hooked to weather balloon.
It’s the 110th anniversary of discovery of the Cullinan diamond.
SkyMall files for Chapter 11.
– The mysterious company behind the bankruptcy.
New $150,000 smart bracelet.
Leatherman introduces wearable tool.
19 engagement rings “you never knew existed.”
You can get your car covered in diamonds.
BusinessWeek likes Cartier’s “most complicated watch ever.”
Vice on blood diamonds and Central African Republic (video).
Atlanta Journal-Constitution presents “the truth” about diamond rings.
The Wall Street Journal talks with David Morris.
ABCnews.com has three ways to finance an engagement ring.
Victoria Gomelsky on SIHH in The New York Times.
Asian newspaper likes Hearts On Fire.
PopSugar on vintage engagement rings.
Wired on diamond technologies.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.