This week: Why Facebook likes those ring shots. The end of the former world’s biggest mall. And what’s ahead in 2015 for gold and retail. All below.
– Brands, basics, and floating diamonds ruled this year’s yule.
– Luxury jewelers score, says Centurion.
– Mixed feedback from National Jeweler.
– Jewelry business strong this holiday, says MasterCard.
– What is driving the uptick in jewelry spending, Bloomberg wonders. (video)
– Did sales come at cost to profit?
– 24 of the year’s best jewelry reads (plus one video) that didn’t appear on JCKonline.
– Jennifer Heebner’s five favorite blog posts.
– Avi Krawitz: 2014 “wasn’t all bad” for diamond business.
– The year’s fashion focused on ethics, sustainability.
– The year in wearable tech.
– Top 10 luxury social marketers (incl. Van Cleef & Arpels).
– People’s favorite 2014 celebrity engagement rings.
– National Jeweler’s predictions for 2015.
– CNBC forecasts retail trends.
– Possible e-commerce acquisitions.
– What will happen to gold?
RapNet’s plan to police grading on its site.
– Rough & Polished weighs in.
Robert Lee Morris closing SoHo store.
Fossil goes luxury with “Swiss-made” label. (subscription required)
Lia Sophia customers angry at shutdown. (subscription required)
Four found guilty in Campbell Bridges’ murder.
Con man outwits diamond-heist gang.
21 states raising minimum wage Jan. 1.
Why Facebook is filled with engagement photos.
– Elite Daily: People judging each other’s rings.
– More grooms videotaping engagements.
Business Week: Jewelry is the “ultimate inefficient market.”
How Nordstrom outperformed every other retailer.
Is J.C. Penney really in turnaround?
Neiman Marcus merges store, e-commerce teams.
Men, women display similar shopping habits.
Trends that are killing teen retail.
Seeking Alpha likes Pandora stock.
Van Cleef campaign lets people wish upon a star.
Falling ruble will help Indian industry.
– De Beers not opening India office.
– Reuters: China challenging India in diamond biz.
Zimbabwe still fighting for Belgium diamonds.
Armenia-Russia diamond imports to be simplified.
Angola’s state diamond producer to reduce costs.
Indigenous tribe in Northwest Territories signs deal with De Beers.
Dog locates the $20,000 space diamond.
Former “world’s biggest mall” getting demolished.
Homeless man still looking for owner of diamond ring.
Lauren Bacall’s jewelry to be sold at Bonhams.
Celebrity Engagement Time
– Sofia Vergara’s ring is a jaw-dropper.
– Real Housewife Kim Zolciak shows off 10 ct. ring.
– Rebecca Mader has a nice-size one, too.
– Brides’ favorite celebrity engagement rings.
Diamond contact lens coming.
– Plus a diamond pacifier.
“Christmas miracle”: engagement ring returned.
Man proposes with help from drone.
The funny watch reviews on Amazon.com.
Fox Business talks to CEO of Pure Grown.
Asbury Park Press goes inside 47th Street Diamond District.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend and a wonderful New Year!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.