This week: More jewelry from Napoleon. Has Etsy lost its soul? The secret message in Lady Gaga’s ring. All below.
Jewelers find Valentine’s Day sales uneven.
– National Jeweler finds sales “unpredictable.”
– Centurion: Prestige jewelers do well.
“Dismal December” for jewelers.
Pandora sees “strongest quarter ever” in the U.S.
– Earnings call transcript.
– Departing CEO gets million-dollar payoff.
Richline acquires bangle brand Chrysalis.
Company claims to have produced 5 ct. synthetic diamond.
– Citigroup calls lab-growns an increasing threat.
What happens to heat-treated diamonds?
British organizations want grading specifications from diamond labs.
Three questions about Blue Nile’s plan to open a store.
Appraising Tiffany & Co.’s SEO.
Has Etsy alienated crafters and lost its soul?
Jewelry is about craft. We should tell consumers.
– Millennials redefine luxury.
Apple’s high-end watch will make all the money.
– Apple’s opportunity in the luxury market.
– Watches will be sold only at Apple stores.
– Planning dedicated watch-only stores.
– What will mid-range watch cost?
– Five million watches ordered for initial run.
– Wired: Expect “slow start.”
– Some health features dropped.
– Watch makes cover of Self.
– New Yorker profiles Apple head of design.
Fossil desperate for answer to Apple Watch?
Pebble may have new smartwatch up sleeve.
Movado targeted by shareholder class action.
Breitling boss accused of discrimination.
Lia Sophia customer waiting for jewelry.
Wal-Mart gives minimum-wage employees a raise.
Gilt Groupe gets $50 million investment.
Lazare Kaplan denies Swiss bank account.
– Antwerp reacts to Socialist politician’s criticism of industry.
Daughter of Angolan president uses shell companies to hide diamond holdings.
Botswana diamond workers “devastated” by factory closings.
China’s diamond consumption declines.
– This article sees “resurgence of demand.”
– Avi Kravitz on China’s New Year challenge.
Indian diamond companies express slew of concerns.
– Indian banks reluctant to do jewelry loans.
Wyndham: De Beers happy, sightholders miserable.
Canadian diamond factory hit by lawsuit.
Zimbabwe’s mixed record with Chinese companies (including diamond miners).
Famed jewel thief Doris Payne is arrested yet again.
Guard admits to role in Paris jewelry heists.
Family of missing upstate New York jeweler planning memorial.
Roxanne Rabasco heading integrated marketing at Frederick Goldman.
ASHI Diamonds adds Victoria Tynedale to sales team.
Patrick Retzer joins Jayden Star.
A profile of “last great American watchmaker.”
LVMH’s Jean-Claude Biver: “Brands must readjust.”
Cartier offers “vibrating diamonds” watch.
Danielle Max doesn’t like reused diamonds.
Ritani partners with Jewelers Mutual.
DDI talks about role in Kimberley Process.
The Internet loves Lady Gaga’s engagement ring.
– A jeweler weighs in.
– Ring contains secret message.
Napoleon’s jewelry hits Australia.
Diamond merchant wins Modi’s pinstripe suit.
Diamond lost on hiking trail.
– Huffington Post has a feminist look at diamonds.
– PopSugar on lab-grown diamonds.
– Bloomberg profiles Sarin. (Video)
– Helzberg Diamonds CEO appears on Fox Business. (Video)
– The List has diamond alternatives. (Video)
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.