Written in a burkini
This feature—and this feature’s author—will be on vacation next week. Hope everyone has a great end of summer. See you in September!
This week: Are the malls really dead? How blockchain could help the Kimberley Process. An in-depth look at Pandora. All below.
Signet’s sales sink in disappointing quarter.
– Earnings call transcript.
– Stock tumbles.
– Testing new gem-tracking technology.
– Must exit the credit business.
– Bad signal for De Beers?
– My thoughts: Signet’s broken stride.
Tiffany comps fall 8 percent.
– Earnings call transcript.
– Stock jumps.
– Not bad, says Jim Cramer.
– “Mixed,” says analyst.
Michael Hill’s U.S. comps rise but still disappoint.
Jewelry Television sees 15.7 percent growth.
What the jewelry industry can expect this holiday.
One in 10 Brits buying discounted engagement rings.
U.S. is the largest watch market (for now).
J.C. Penney aims to be “king of the mall.”
– Retailer’s plan to lure new shoppers.
– Cramer: Time to bury “death of the mall” story.
Neiman Marcus cuts 80 jobs.
– Can it recover?
Target CEO’s job isn’t getting easier.
Will Wal-Mart, Jet.com marriage last?
CEO’s fund to loan Sears $300 million.
New attempt to solve online sales tax issue.
24 Karat Club leaving Waldorf Astoria.
Coralia Leets Jewelry Design files for Chapter 7.
Gary Schulman joins Frederick Goldman.
NPD Group reorganizes luxury division.
Former Unique Settings operations director opens company.
Lugano Diamonds promotes Stuart Winston.
Rio Tinto backs out of Indian diamond mine.
– India assessing whether project is viable.
– Local digger finds big diamond.
– Rio Tinto Diamonds says it’s staying put.
South African billionaire seeks to consolidate diamond miners.
UAE looks at applying blockchain to the Kimberley Process.
Zimbabwe government won’t pay diamond miners.
Stella Diamonds wants to build Sierra Leone’s second largest diamond mine.
Indian traders don’t want to be raided during holidays.
A look at illicit gold in India.
Gold, gemstones piling up in Singapore safety deposit boxes.
California courts to rule on gold mining.
U.S. Customs renews ban on Burmese ruby and jade.
MJSA debuts social network for jewelry designers.
SEO tips from big jewelry companies.
New Apple Watch will likely be health focused.
– Watch most appealing to under-35s.
Fossil to debut more wearables this year.
– Top five wearables companies to watch.
Meet elderly hand models in Karen Walker’s new campaign.
What divorced men and women do with their wedding rings.
Identity revealed of monster mummy unearthed by diamond miners.
Is this the world’s largest pearl?
Safaris let you scuba dive for diamonds.
About that most-pinned engagement ring…
Trump fans threaten jewelry designer who dissed Ivanka.
Brie Larson’s friend makes Tarot-inspired jewelry.
Why Farrah Abraham bought her own engagement ring.
Four cool facts about Olympic gold medals.
(Difficult) quiz about diamond movies.
People are still arguing about that LinkedIn essay on engagement rings.
– CNBC asks: Would you invest in diamonds?
– BBC on Botswana’s reliance on diamonds (video).
– Racked on the success of Pandora.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine