This week: Tiffany sued for discrimination. Florida jeweler reportedly subject of fifth lawsuit. A blinged-out mountain bike. All below.
Signet acquisition of Zale completed, but legal challenges persist.
Women get paid less in retail, survey says.
– The pay gap between retail CEOs and their employees.
– Manager alleges discrimination at Tiffany.
– Seattle raises minimum wage to $15, highest in country.
Are U.S. diamond and jewelry sales rising? IDEX runs the stats.
– May retail sales strong.
Sales up 12 percent at Gitanjali’s U.S. stores.
Diamantaires mostly happy in Vegas, IDEX says.
– Show “meets expectations,” Rapaport says.
Jewelers responsible for grading reports they use, panel says.
GIA considering second India lab.
Undisclosed synthetics discovered in Israel.
– Synthetic (and simulant) seller MiaDonna opening showroom in Portland.
– Accredited Gemologists Association panel discusses lab-growns in Vegas.
– Should retailers carry them?
Can the DEF convince consumers that diamonds do good?
How independent will Botswana get?
De Beers execs pushing brands again.
– Forevermark CEO: Is the diamond dream in danger?
Dominion to start contract sales system.
Pimco touts diamonds as an investment.
– AOL/Barron’s discusses. (Video)
– Tiffany stock better investment than diamonds, CNN claims.
Steinmetz may try again for diamond group IPO.
– The New Yorker on Beny Steinmetz’s battle with Rio Tinto.
Golconda diamond fails to sell at Christie’s.
– Bulgari snake watch sells for $1.1 million.
Chinese slowdown threatens luxury companies.
Hermès sees opportunity in jewelry. (need subscription to read)
Swatch CEO says sales hurt by Swiss currency.
New device turns any watch into smartwatch.
– New smartwatch looks a lot like jewelry.
– Did Apple drop hint iWatch is coming?
Fab.com is probably dead this year, says Valleywag.
– Not so, argues Pando.
Tiffany target of cyber attacks, report says.
PhotoScribe wins patent for diamond assessment system.
Online sales tax may be added to Internet tax legislation.
– Illinois may revive online tax.
Jewelers buy and trade on Facebook group.
Google Glass “could revolutionize” diamond industry.
SCIO appoints new members to board of directors.
Winsome Diamonds inaugurating legal proceedings against defaulters.
Fabergé sues Brooklyn restaurant.
Florida jeweler sued for fifth time.
Jeweler sent to jail over insider trading.
Antwerp seizes parcel of banned CAR diamonds.
Fresh diamond-looting spree in Marange.
– 60 Zim companies interested in cutting factories.
Review of Ian Smillie’s new book on diamonds.
Indian diamond traders expect support from new government.
Jewish gold dealers strike in Tunisia after Jewish jeweler stabbed.
Saudi Arabia jewelry stores to be staffed by women only.
New Russian diamonds stir interest.
Mauboussin appoints new North American CEO, closes NYC boutique.
Zenith announces watch line with Rolling Stones.
The million-dollar gold-covered mountain bike.
Albuquerque hotel selling martinis with diamonds.
Community searches for missing engagement ring.
The Daily Mail says diamonds make women feel sexy.
Seven dwarves diamond mining ride coming to Disney World.
– The Triangle Business Journal on the Clarity Project.
– BuzzFeed says actress not wearing diamonds is a “thoughtful gesture.”
– Huffington Post blogger doesn’t want engagement ring.
– Bustle touts non-diamond engagement rings.
– Los Angeles Times notices more colored stones in Vegas.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.