This week: Analyst predicts end of Wal-Mart, Target. Is silver price rigged? Watch can prevent traffic accidents. All below.
Today targets lead glass–filled rubies.
– Atlanta TV station on avoiding ruby rip-offs.
Private equity firm takes over John Hardy.
– Interview with new CEO, Robert Hanson.
– Company valued at between $100 million and $120 million.
– Old owner nearly doubled investment.
Kering buys Ulysse Nardin.
Retailers liable for undisclosed synthetics they sell, JVC says.
– Reuters on the diamond industry coping with synthetics.
U.S. economy sees strong second-quarter rebound.
Blue Nile encouraged by results from Nordstorm shops.
– Consumers still prefer brick-and-mortar shopping—especially for jewelry.
BaubleBar raises $10 million in financing.
Amazon selling customizable 3-D printed jewelry.
How millennials will change retail for the next 25 years.
Changing face of retail hurting workers.
Birks Group slashes Florida staff amid mixed financials.
Goldman Sachs predicts decline of Wal-Mart, Target.
– Wal-Mart U.S. CEO resigns.
– Former Pepsi exec takes over at Target.
– “What new Target CEO must do.”
President of Belk taking over Bon-Ton Stores.
94 percent of Macy’s emails promote discount.
Swatch planning watch with fitness features.
– New watch may prevent road accidents.
– Smartwatches “may go mainstream this holiday.”
– Apple iWatch may be pushed back to December.
Pandora Baltimore workforce smaller than announced.
– Sued over 2011 stock drop.
Charles & Colvard sales rise 20 percent.
Banks accused of rigging silver price.
De Beers profitable—but sightholders aren’t.
De Beers says S stands for sightholder.
Indian companies expect slow second half of year.
No sanctions on Russian diamonds—for now.
Former Zimbabwe mining minister Mpofu denies bribe allegations.
– Ran diamond sector by himself after firing board.
– Grilled in court.
– Lied to Mugabe?
Buyers interested in liquidated Australian jeweler.
A significant diamond industry anniversary.
Net-A-Porter CEO steps down.
Panama bourse hires HRD, Baselworld veteran.
WJA Awards for Excellence Winners announced, feted.
– Berg, Hucker, Schechter accept awards at American Gem Society dinner.
London Jewelers owner Mayer Udell dies.
Short history of luxury diamond rings and sports.
Jade Jagger claims photographer pinched her jewelry.
Family finds buried treasure—again.
Dwight D. Eisenhower’s Rolex auctioned.
Diamonds hidden around U.K. town.
Thief steals diamond ring from woman having epileptic seizure.
Dubai pays kids in gold to lose weight.
Avril Lavigne gets 17 ct. diamond for anniversary.
HuffPo U.K. on Dubai/Zimbabwe diamond sale.
Wall Street Daily: Diamonds “set to sparkle.”
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine