Diamond Shavings: Your Friday Web Roundup

Israel was beautiful, as usual, but it’s good to be home … Will have a lot more to say about the conference in an upcoming JCK …


And now the news …


A very Blue NILE.

– Reports from Business Week, Motley Fool.

– Causes decline in all jewelry stocks.

Earnings call.

– Company gets new CEO.


GLG: Finlay needs cash.  Tiffany may disappoint. Zale still struggling.


Chaim: The DDC and “Certifigate.”


Gassman/Idex: Jewelry shopping experience “dull.”  Varda Shine and Gareth Penny made similar points in Israel. 
– Also:  ”Lessons” from Christmas.


NRF: “Slight decline” in jewelry sales on Valentine’s Day.

Birks and Mayors same store sales down 6%.


Can Fortunoff come back?.


Israeli Conference:

Speeches and interviews.

A Platinum Guild – for diamonds?

– Will industry stop using dollars?

– Thoughts/reports from Idex, Polishedprices, Solitaire, Reuters, National Jeweler and myself.


Are Canadian mines money-losers?

– Miners look elsewhere.

Environmentalists upset about De Beers mine.


Amazon diamond sales double.


Theo Fennell steps down


Trailer for “Flawless,” new diamond movie. (Definitely looks like mock DTC in there.)


Namibia diamond fracas.


Jewelers criticize Alaskan gold mine.


Nicky Oppenheimer on South African blackouts.


Brilliant Earth sends out a press release suggesting the only way to buy a conflict-free diamonds is from  — surprise! —  Brilliant Earth.


British survey: 75% would be “unhappy” receiving a conflict diamond. And the other 25% would jump for joy?


Media Watch:

– Public radio’s Marketplace: Not all women like diamonds.

Smartmoney on how to save on engagement rings.

– Theknot.com on engagement ring trends and getting the ring you want.

Metro columnist wants to eliminate engagement rings. Good luck with that.


From the blog:

Israel Blogging: Other Thoughts

Israel Blogging: A Platinum Guild – for Diamonds?


Have a good (President’s Day) weekend …

Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine

JCK News Director

Log Out

Are you sure you want to log out?

CancelLog out