Before we start, I was very saddened to hear about the death of trade journalist Ginger Dick, who I remember from way back. My condolescences to her friends and family …
And now the news …
Valentine’s Day sales mixed.
DTC price increase.
LID (Israel) goes into receivership.
The DDC/Term Limit Controversy:
– The DDC’s response to Chaim’s memo.
– My thoughts.
– I heard the conference call, and the new CEO said many smart things. He said Zale’s marketing is “at best fair,” and the stores need to have a more “emotional experience.” Says chain is “over-inventoried,” plans massive inventory clearance. Also “needs to listen to the stores” more.
– GLG: Hedge funds will flee.
– Motley Fool: Has Zale “turned the corner”?
Sierra Leone diamonds linked to Hezbollah.
–Declassified FBI documents on the link between al Qaeda and conflict diamonds (which, they conclude, doesn’t exist.) Fascinating reading.
Smuggled diamonds seized in Edmonton.
Gassman: Online jewelers will “change industry.”
De Beers hires “global” PR firm. Don’t they have one? Quite curious ….
– “Forevermark collection” at Oscars.
De Beers mostly exploring in DRC, Angola.
Moissanite sales fall 35%.
California jeweler investigated for diamond sales.
Profile of Gitanjali’s Mehul Choski.
Christies to sell 101-carat diamond.
JCK owner up for sale. So now there can be blog posts speculating about my company.
– The AP on men’s jewelry.
– The Financial Times on borrowed jewelry.
– Dubai newspaper: “We’re a hub.”
– Yet another industry bashing article, from Texas A & M.
– Columnist in Cheboygan tries to make diamonds. Fails.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend …