Housekeeping note … Next week I will be at the 33rd World Diamond Congress in Shanghai. Time and technical issues permitting, I hope to post while I’m there (as well as do this round-up) …
US bankruptcies down in 1Q. Surprising.
Zale sales up 6.3%.
Signet sales down 2.5%.
Blue Nile 1Q sales up 3.8%.
– Shares rise.
BIDZ sales increase 38%.
Amazon’s diamond sales double.
House of Taylor in $3.95 million default. Ouch!
GIA “Certifigate” records subpeonad.
– Who owned Vivid Collection?
– Attorney letter, more docs. (PDF)
Wyndham: BHP shows tender trend. Indeed, I’m starting to hear people say we could be seeing a fundamental change in how rough diamonds are sold.
Can brands go upscale?
Tacy’s diamond pipeline report.
BHP, EU discuss Rio takeover.
Indian traders cope with defaults.
Australian jeweler collapses.
Leviev: Dubai stores will open.
– Anthrax guitarist designs for Leviev.
– Diamantaires make UK rich list.
Israeli Exchange adds new floors.
Broker robbed in Dallas.
Hedge fund new JCK owner? Don’t ask me!
– Herald Tribune: Will diamonds “lose sparkle”?
– Huffington Post: “Conflict gold”?
– Reuters spotlights “breakup jewelry” sites.
– CBS Market Watch: Jewelry buying tips.
– San Francisco Chroncile blog on “push prizes.”
From the Blog:
De Beers’ Forevermark: The Beginning of a New Age?
Have a great weekend (and see some of you overseas) …
UPDATE: Just saw this…. Mark Boston’s blog. It’s good! Good luck, Mark, and have fun!