No news as of yet on the Whitehall front; everyone is still in court, arguing over which liquidator is chosen (Gordon Brothers or the Great American-led trio.) The thing that people here want to know about is possible “going concern” sales, and I don’t know when that is coming up. If I hear anything I will try to get out here or on the epic Whitehall thread …
And here’s the week’s news …
Whitehall to liquidate.
– CEO’s email.
Zale makes exec changes.
– My thoughts: “Outsiders” take over.
– Stock at highest level in ten months.
Signet: Sales, profits drop.
Boscovs goes Chapter 11.
– Gets financing; will close ten stores.
Blue Nile: Sales up, profits down.
– Nile CEO: “Customers traded down.”
– Analysts cut targets.
– Motley Fool analysis.
– Blue Nile vs Bidz: Who had more customers?
– Analyst compares two.
Discounters strongest in July; luxury weak.
Bridget Oppenheimer, Nicky’s mother, robbed at knifepoint.
High expectations at IIJS show.
– Solitaire: Figure out generic campaign!
Online diamond retailer Abazias purchased.
– Another jewelry TV channel?
Equity firm funds Florida jeweler.
Company adds VS2- grade.
Cartier sues Donna Karen over watches.
Namibian newspaper: Rough too expensive to cut.
Rough confiscated at Israel airport.
– Israeli smuggling ring?
– Government targets smugglers.
– Diamonds cited in Narcotics Control report.
Kimberley Process releases 2007 data.
– Chaim: Statistics lack “validity.”
2,100 carat diamond likely fake.
South African strike hits De Beers.
– De Beers denies “Survival” caused it to quit mine
RapNet launches Chinese network.
Reuters on the new Panama bourse.
Haaretz on Hezbollah and the West African diamond trade.
Black Voices’ “Style Spotters” on De Beers’ African bling.
Oswego newspaper talks to “Heartless Stone” author.
Folio magazine writes up a JCK cover.
From the Blog:
Have a good weekend, and chat away …