Just a short note that I will be going on vacation next week, and won’t resurface until the Rapaport Diamond Conference on Sept. 8 … so no blog posts, and no round-up next Friday … Please try to survive.
(NOTE: As Mall Jewelry Boy notes, if you want to comment, you have to type the verification letters in all caps. I have no idea why, but that’s how it’s going for now.)
And now the news …
Zale: Sales up, profits down.
– Stock soars.
Tiffany: Sales, profits up.
– Upbeat about holiday.
Finlay: Sales up, profit down.
Michael Hill CEO interview.
– Could it steal marketshare?
– Gitanjail update.
– I should note, not that there was much doubt about this, the judge has approved the sales of the 17 Whitehall stores to Michael Hill.
– Fortunoff reaches agreement with lenders.
– Boscov’s execs could get survival bonuses.
– Bankrupt jeweler LeNature’s assets distributed.
Jacob the Jeweler collecting unpaid bills.
BHP/Rio merger talk “isn’t going away.”
– Australian competition authorities wary.
Chaim on De Beers name changes.
– Sight report: Clients “moody.”
De Beers opens “technology treasure chest.”
Declining rupee could help Indian trade.
South African permit requirements threaten industry.
– Botswana to auction rough.
Nicky Oppenheimer co-authors African aid article.
Diamond discovery roils Zimbabwe town.
Canada wants diamond bourse.
– Oprah in diamond-studded “Obama” glasses.
Broward Palm Beach New Times on jewel thief gangs.
The New York Post’s Page Six magazine on Ivanka Trump.
Business Week on the “Amazonification” of ebay.
Botswana newspaper: Diamonds “come home.”
CS Monitor: From blood diamonds to blood cows. Ed Zwick, call your agent!
From the Blog:
Have a great holiday weekend everyone …I’m gonna into industry detox (for a week, at least) ….