I’m posting this early today, as I am shortly going to be in transit, working on a story for next week (sounds intriguing, huh).
Also, if anyone is having problems with comments, please let me know at rbates -at- reedbusiness.com. That is also a good address for news tips, questions, and all the rest …
Here now the news ….
The stimulus and small business.
Corporate layoffs at Zale, plus “restructuring.” (Last comment.)
Heck of a Job, NRDC!
– Fortunoff lays off 300.
– Gets sued. (second item.)
– Chain won’t accept gift cards.
– Auction postponed to Feb. 23.
Warren Buffett buys Tiffany bonds.
National Jeweler Valentine’s report.
Wal Mart fine jewelry head departs.
Blue Nile Q4 sales down 23%.
De Beers “borrows” $500 million.
Botswana sightholder “choked by debt.”
– De Beers, Botswana clash.
- Oppenheimer dragged into Nchindo trial.
Omega Diamonds suspected of money laundering.
– Original report. (In Flemish.)
Will gem show leave Tucson?
Zale settles “Love Rocks” lawsuit.
Will Oscar dim the bling?
– Fashion week jewelry “too big.”
– Jeweler: “I’m not scaling back.”
Shoppers deserting department stores?
– Are retailers becoming less snooty?
India: No diamond trade “relief.”
– Critics blast.
– Industry “takes break” in March.
– Fund for unemployed workers.
Thai gem industry seeks help.
Report: Lazare Kaplan, Alrosa in talks.
Colored diamond fund reports increase.
Hartman Jewelers in Virginia.
Justice Jewelers in Arkansas.
Alabama jeweler in bankruptcy.
Suspected diamond thief visits jewelers.
– Kansas jeweler robbed.
Chaim on the Kimberley Process.
– KP blasted over Zimbabwe.
Rio Tinto Diamonds gets new MD.
Pebble mine foes pressure Fred Meyer.
Dubai: “Spiraling down?”
Baubles still big in Kuwait.
Tanzania to allow Petra to buy stake.
President of Lunt Silversmiths dies.
Jewel salesman robbed at Starbucks.
– Was it “dog jewelry”?
– CNBC says big diamonds are hot.
– WWD: Bridal market hangs in. (Subscription)
– New York Times: Jeweler’s view of Valentine’s Day.
– Russell Simmons in Huffington Post mentions Diamond Empowerment Fund.
– West Coast newspaper: CZs won’t fly.
– Duke Chronicle writes up a De Beers speech …
From the Blog:
Buffett at Tiffany’s
Have a great weekend …