First, a self-promotional note, as we head into the madness of Vegas: I will be speaking on “The Top Five Issues in the Diamond Industry” from 11 AM to 12:15 PM on Thursday May 28 in Room “Zeno 4610.” Please stop by.
Also, a reminder that the “Diamonds” mini-series, which includes subplots about “blood diamonds” and a fake De Beers, will be airing Sunday night at 9 PM on ABC, and will conclude on Tuesday. It hasn’t gotten much publicity so far, but here is one review. My past thoughts and a summary is here.
Also, we have a new commenting system that will hopefully make it easier for people to leave comments and have less of the bugs we have seen in the past. Let me know if you have any issues with it.
I will try to blog from the show next week. However, being in Vegas next week and dependent on random computers, this round-up may be either early or late next Friday. Hope you all have a great holiday weekend and look forward to seeing many of you at what should be a very interesting Vegas show …
And here’s the news ..
Robbins Bros plan goes ahead.
Economist declares recession “over.”
– Zale stock price “sign of recovery?
New CEO for De Beers retail chain.
De Beers woos diamond investors.
Antwerp secures additional financing.
– Chaim: “Innovative.”
– FT: “A bailout.”
– Fabrikant lawsuit being settled.
– Chaim on the Julius Klein blue diamond case.
– Colibri sued by ex-employees.
– Jewelry Television sued by ex-employee.
– Frank Gehry jewelry lawsuit proceeds.
Bloomberg dedicates “Gem Tower.”
– NY Post: Tower “got a haircut.” I should note that the Gem Tower says it has 34 floors, while that article (incorrectly, apparently) says it has 32.
– NY Times talks to gem dealers.
– City press release.
Vasantbhai Sanghavi dies.
– Mark Boston pays tribute.
“Costly blunder” at Debswana.
– Botswana nearly in recession.
Alrosa changes diamond plan, keeps Vybornov.
– Russell Shor (at Foreign Policy blog) on Alrosa.
– Finch downgrades.
Fred Meyer Jewelers’ online strategy.
Two more jobless diamond workers commit suicide.
– One G.M. Pollack store in Bangor.
Sotheby’s blue diamond buyer named.
CIBJO responds on “synthetic.”
Latest Finlay filing. Looks like current management is staying in place.
Retail CEO pay analysis.
Angola cracks down on diamond smugglers.
Zimbabwe seeks Namibia diamond advice.
Toddler flushes Mom’s ring down toilet.
Nobody’s won deodorant diamond contest.
VOA: Diamond downturn “hurts Africa.”
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin
– Email for tips, comments, hate and/or love mail: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.