The main thing I heard from the JA Show was “better than expected.” (Idex agrees.) We are seeing some improvement. It’s just very slow …
Here now the news …
Ultra Stores exits Chapter 11.
Finlay close to bankruptcy, has two bidders.
Unsecured creditors sue Fortunoff.
AGTA closes gem lab.
New CEO for Charles and Colvard.
LVMH watch, jewelry sales fall.
GLG on the state of the industry.
– Gassman looks at the independent jeweler.
Chaim on Indian diamond banks.
De Beers may raise rough prices.
– Calls job cuts “permanent.”
– Admits to “mad dash for growth.”
- Anglo affirms De Beers stake.
Element Six jobs saved?
IRIN interviews Sierra Leone diamond smuggler.
– Newspaper calls for rules on local investment.
Social responsibility of diamond companies criticized.
– Report can be seen here. (Warning: annoying website.)
Kimberley Process wants to suspend Zimbabwe.
– Zimbabwe: Suspension will “worsen things.”
India: Former diamond worker’s daughter driven to prostitution.
Obama renews Burma ruby ban.
Management changes at I Hennig.
According to Modern Jeweler’s Facebook page, it has two prospective buyers. Good luck …
Diamonds may make wounds heal faster.
CNN on Botswana’s diamond boom.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin
– Email for tips, comments, hate and/or love mail: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.