Another titan of the jewelry industry liquidates – including brands Carlyle, JE Caldwell, Zell Brothers, Congress and Bailey, Banks and Biddle. Pathetic.
– Earlier: Former Carlyle owner bid for assets.
Retailers slash hiring for holiday.
Zale to restate financials. Oy.
– GLG: Zale’s last chance?
Fortunoff to open outdoor stores.
– “Not now” returning to jewelry.
Lazare Kaplan faces delisting.
Hong Kong show report: “Decent.”
– Buyers “price resistant.”
Indian industry looks to synthetics.
Australia intervening in KP/Zimbabwe dispute?
De Beers to move aggregation to Botswana (after delay.)
Chaim on “recycled diamonds.”
Cash4Gold drops lawsuit against bloggers.
Philadelphia’s “Joe the Jeweler” arrested.
John Rudd, former De Beers editor and heir of Cecil Rhodes partner, dies.
Investors want Leviev to “pony up.”
Report: Botswana has “misplaced loyalty” to De Beers.
– Also claims Debswana worked with “Executive Outcomes,” and apartheid-era SA.
– Full report. (PDF)
– “Verbal fireworks” at launch.
– Full DB response (doc.)
– Researchers stand by report.
Jewelry robbery gang busted.
– NJ trio tried to scam jewelers.
– Daily Telegraph sees the market coming back.
– The Age (Australia) on dwindling diamond supply.
– The Seattle Times on the “less snooty Tiffany’s.”’
– A Motley Fool reader discusses the diamond industry.
– Newsweek blog on Zimbabwe diamonds.
– A Boston Globe blog letter writer hates diamonds.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck