Lazare Kaplan sues insurance firms.
Citibank and Zale extend payment deadline.
– New York Post says new Zale deal coming “soon.” I would assume, contrary to what this article says, that Zale will at least add new management once it irons out its current financial issues. Also, I have heard many say that they think $150 million is a little low, given what Zale needs. Be interested in opinions on this.
Birks and Mayors sales increase 29%.
Blue Nile sales up 19%.
– Still “king of bling.”
Possible luxury “slowdown.”
Zimbabwe has violated Kimberley: JA. This is a huge development, if true.
– Chairman’s letter to KP. (PDF)
– Diamond official abducted in Zimbabwe.
– Bill mentions Zimbabwe’s suspension from KP.
White synthetics over a carat?
Chaim Even-Zohar’s farewell editorial.
– WWD jewelry editor goes to Christies.
Sources: De Beers may go public.
– New De Beers anti-trust investigation? This doesn’t seem to be as big deal as the article makes it out to be. Hope to have more on this in a bit.
– Cuts 40% of workforce at SA mine.
Theives target De Beers and Tiffany.
More jewelers against “dirty gold.”
Naomi Campbell talks about her alleged “blood diamond” – somewhat, on Oprah.
William Sites wins Shipley Award.
Freddy Hagar re-elected head of London bourse.
Gilt.com founder speaks at WJA.
My article on flash sales.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates, and occasional office inside jokes: robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin.
– Email for tips, comments, press releases: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com