Personal note: I will be in Russia next week, at the World Diamond Congress and World Diamond Council meetings. (Yes, I am one of that not-so-elite group who knows the difference between the Diamond “Congress” and Diamond “Council.”) Anyway, both organizations should have a lot to talk about — the Diamond Council, as we’ve noted, will also host a Kimberley Monitoring meeting which will once again debate the fate of Zimbabwe. Should be interesting, and I hope to post from there. I will also be at the Rio TInto meeting next week in Chicago, and hope to write about that as well.
Here now the news …
San Francisco jeweler’s exchange evacuated.
Gerry Gewirtz dies.
Is Groupon bad for business?
Massachusetts finds huge disparities in prices offered for gold.
Israeli dealer falls victim to “embezzlement.” Lots of talk about this, and its possible impact here.
What if Zimbabwe sells outside the KP?
– Belgium halts Marange diamond imports. ($)
– Finance minister: Country being “punished” by Kimberley.
– Another UK company scouts for Zimbabwe diamonds.
Zimbabwe NGO researcher still in jail.
– Amnesty International appeals for release.
Family of arrested Indian diamantaires appeal to government.
Diamdel sales “strong.”
– Alrosa production falls.
Strike likely in Namibian mines.
Forevermark goes mass market in India.
Rebel denies Charles Taylor link to “blood diamonds.”
Naomi Campbell served with subpoena.
– Aide: She got six blood diamonds.
Jewelry TV closes deal with Singapore company.
South Africa Diamond Council CEO steps down.
Nate Light starts new company.
Israel industry shows gains.
Indian company employee kills self.
Four convicted in Graff gem heist.
Sydney jeweler in trouble for uploading nude dolls onto Facebook.
A diamond Iphone 4.
– Solves “dropped call issue.”
41 “pictures of the craziest bling.”
– Management Today interviews Gareth Penny.
– Washington Post: Five myths about diamonds. I helped the author with this article. Info is okay.
– Guy at the New Republic calls for a diamond boycott and generally seems confused.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …