This week… The Vegas Show got its neon-tinged groove
back.… The Kimberley Process remains in
crisis, which means it must be a weekday.… And we all began the post–trade-show recuperation process. It’s going to take me about a year.… All below.…
What Happened in Vegas
– My thoughts: “Show
– Diamond World: “Promising.”
– Rapaport: “Well
attended, good atmosphere.”
– Idex: “Swings, but wobbly.”
Can’t Say With Cert-itude
thoughts. (Very good discussion in the comments.)
Harry Winston sales up
– CEO: Diamond market “in
RapNet diamond index up.
– Charts on diamond
– U.S. polished diamond imports up.
Nicky Oppenheimer discusses new
De Beers CEO. Interesting.
– Longtime De Beers exec resigns.
– De Beers considers expansion
of South African mine.
Latest Zale 10-Q.
– Bank of America downgrades
Bailey Banks & Biddle opening
Tiffany wins restraining order against
– Sterling sues over
Theo Fennell CEO steps
Diamond smuggling case cracked
More violence in Zimbabwe
– South African diamond trader imports
– Kimberley Process participants admit
– India increases pressure to end
– Outrage over Chinese
– Zim politicians quarrel over
– State newspaper: Diamond licenses on hold.
27 companies in Mozambique digging for diamonds.
Indian rough sourcing initiative plans
– “Major disappointment” as auction postponed.
Indian newspaper: Japanese diamond trade hasn’t
Caps on debit card fees upheld.
– Good primer on the issue from Time.
Survey: Online sales tax would
drive buyers away.
– Texas governor vetoes Internet tax.
– Politico: “Sales tax fairness” gains steam.
– Amazon still
Diamdel opens up in
Michael Hill honored
Conflict mineral legislation might “stigmatize”
Ivanka Trump debuts
Was Newt Gingrich’s jewelry purchase a
plea for forgiveness?
Bulgari store attacked by
Did Las Vegas adult club steal
– CNBC on
New York Daily News on a diamond retailer who now sells on the Internet.
Financial Times on Antwerp’s CSR initiative.
From the Blog:
article on HPHT (includes sidebar on diamond prices.)
Feel free to comment on any of the above in the box below,
and have a great weekend…
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck