This week … News flash: Really rich people are still spending, patronizing brands, and otherwise being wealthy … The FTC is interested once again in our industry (which is probably good.) As is cable channel AMC (which probably isn’t.) .. Plus, a guy was got caught stealing jewelry during the lunch break of his trial for another robbery, showing that, while he’s not that great at crime, he is an excellent multi-tasker … All below …
Huge news: FTC revising Jewelry Guides.
Survey says: Only richest consumers spending more this holiday.
– Ken Gassman: Really rich people remaining really rich.
– Hmmm … : Luxury brands lose 80-90 percent of customers every year.
Better than we think?
– Sept. retail sales gain highest in seven months.
– Michael Hill U.S. sales soaring.
– Harry Winston U.S. sales up, too. (Though diamond prices down.)
– Edahn Golan: Don’t fret! Consumers aren’t.
J.C. Penney buys Liz Claiborne, Monet.
Moissanite embracing “home party sales” model. Does anyone else do this (in a big way) for jewelry? Be interesting to see if this works …
– QVC Survey: 80 percent of British women want to wear fake diamonds.
Does De Beers want to be industry leader again?
– John Helmer: Alrosa now imitating (old) De Beers.
Indian minister: Diamantaires should own diamond mines.
Rio Tinto close to getting license for Indian diamond mine.
Murowa mine in Zimbabwe giving 51% to government.
– Shares ceded “under duress.”
NGO: South Africa breaking Marange embargo. And yet another wheel comes off the wagon.
Kimberley Process/Zimbabwe comes up in U.K.’s House of Lords.
Chaim Even-Zohar goes after Partnership Africa Canada. [$$]
Fighting over diamonds ends in Central African Republic.
South African community tries to halt De Beers mine sale.
Element Six opens Silicon Valley office.
– Scio Diamond names chief operating officer.
– The (possible) key for industrial uses: Diamond defects.
Diamdel opens Hong Kong office.
Israel enjoys double-digit export growth.
National Internet sales tax bill introduced in House.
Hearts on Fire dropping case against De Beers. That was fast (and odd.)
Speaking of odd: Man robs jewelry store while on trial for another crime.
– Also … don’t forget to check our weekly Jewelry Crime Blotter.
Zale names new CFO.
PGI names director of business development.
U.K. jeweler bakes a $34,000 dessert.
Tiffany designing jewels for Gatsby film.
Jennifer Aniston not getting a diamond?
Miranda Kerr getting diamond bra.
Rapper Pharrell has big diamond ring.
Diamonds are Forever called best movie song.
MarketWatch corrects last week’s diamond price story.
SeekingAlpha on diamond prices and the economy.
CNN profiles Scott Kay. (Video)
Wall Street Journal mad because Occupy Wall Street protestors wear diamonds.
Real Houswives get a visit from Erica Courtney.
From the Blog:
Feel free to comment on any of the above in the box below, and enjoy your weekend …
– Don’t miss a blog or news story! Subscribe to the JCK e-newsletter! (Sign up on upper right hand of site.)
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck@jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine