This week… Big changes at De Beers.… Big delays at GIA…. And big controversy over Zimbabwe.… It’s a special déjà vu edition of Diamond Shavings. All below…
GIA: No easy answer to long turnaround times.
Blue Nile CEO resigns, profits fall.
– Up for Amazon acquisition? (Video.)
– Shares crushed.
– Even so, Internet jewelry sales increasing.
Cash4Gold exploring sale of company.
Goldline International charged with fraud.
– Why did it happen? Anglo “tired of bailing out the Oppenheimers.”
– Anglo says not interested in IPO.
– De Beers: “Business as usual.”
– Jamie Mourdant: “May be liberating.”
– Chaim Even-Zohar on Nicky’s final days. ($$)
– Charles Wyndham: De Beers has “lost value.”
– Avi Krawitz: Sign of industry’s progression.
– Ben Janowski: Will De Beers become just a miner?
– Edahn Golan: “Look to China.”
– Botswana “in a double bind.”
– NY Times: Increases likelihood of Anglo merger.
– Marange stones 40 to 50 percent cheaper? This could have serious ramifications for the market.
– Report: Mbada mine’s guards brutalizing villagers. As this mine has been cleared to export, this is a potentially serious charge.
– Workers “treated like prisoners.”
– New reports of smuggling.
– Mining minister to be grilled over bribe.
– Zim civil servants to receive “diamond-fueled” bonuses.
M Suresh buys Australian jewelry store chain.
Chow Tai Fook gets approval from Hong Kong regulators.
Mall owner sues Indiana over Internet sales tax.
– Bipartisan bill introduced.
– Sales tax fight “heats up.”
Aaron Chitrik, founder of Aaron and Son, dies.
Asheville jeweler Paul Green dies.
My colleague Paul Holewa’s lovely tribute to Woody Justice.
Bidz revenues down in 3Q.
Botswana diamond exports “robust.”
Diamond industry “significant contributor” to Angolan economy.
– Looks to China.
“Sun Drop” diamond to fetch record price.
– Who will buy it?
LVMH acquires ArteCad.
TJF magazine folds.
Signet Jewelers stock “bounces back.”
Peter the Great’s wife’s jewelry to be auctioned.
Big diamond unearthed in India.
Gold mine on Washington beach?
Clever PR stunt: GGC offers to buy Kim Kardashian’s engagement ring.
– TMZ: Kardashian must pay to keep it.
– Daily Beast: Most outrageous celebrity engagement rings.
The Today show goes to Namibia, plugs the Forevermark.
Minnesota Star-Tribune on getting the most value for your diamond.
Local newspaper on re-selling diamonds.
The Frisky talks about getting engaged without the ring.
Boston TV channel on Gemvara.
From the Blog:
Feel free to comment on any of the above in the box below, and enjoy your weekend…
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck