In the news … Wealthy shoppers are very concerned about social responsibility, as long as it’s free … The new “I’m Married” ring that symbolizes love, commitment, and an incredible lack of trust … And the JCK family, and jewelry industry trade press, suffers a terrible loss. RIP, Glen … All below …
GIA to add low-cost synthetic detection service.
– Undisclosed synthetic stones … in China?
New FTC Guides to address lead-filled rubies, synthetic diamonds.
Ivanka Trump Jewelry appoints new president, as Hansen resigns.
Former JCK editor Glen Beres dies.
– National Jeweler editor Whitney Sielaff remembers.
National Jeweler’s annual State of the Majors.
Birks and Mayors sales up.
J.C. Penney’s transformation needs to be transformed.
– Why discounting works: “People are useless at fractions.”
Taxman in Belgium shadowing diamond industry.
Why the diamond business is in a funk.
– De Beers to allow deferments.
– Demand ”slowing.”
– Avi Krawitz: “Industry in state of despair.”
Hong Kong Phooey
– Gem and jewelry show “slow.”
– “Demand not strong … attendance not high.”
– Dealers “disappointed.”
Chow Tai Fook profit rises 79 percent.
– Chinese company expects to double revenues in three years.
U.S jewelry sales weak in April.
Problems with high-earners may delay U.S. recovery.
– Consumer confidence sinks to four month low.
– On the bright side: New home sales surge.
Upheld health care law will affect jewelers.
– Jewelers of America political action committee visits Washington.
Study: Smartphone use will increase.
Survey: Wealthy won’t pay more for socially responsible products.
Will Zimbabwe government grab all its mines?
– Critics say new Zimbabwe diamond policy won’t help.
– Zimbabwe police want to mine diamonds.
– Diamonds found on Zimbabwe farm.
– “Reserved for indigenous people.”
– Western envoys tour Marange.
– Were the envoys misled?
– Some cutters stuck with diamonds.
Does army chief own half of Anjin?
– Global Witness report.
– Company claims it’s “scapegoated.”
Questions over Dan Gertler’s role in Congo. ($)
House Dems pressure SEC to finalize “conflict minerals” rule.
DTC’s relocation to Botswana begins.
Diamond industry pays tribute to Vasantlal Mehta.
Diamond Circle Capital ready to liquidate.
Leviev wins court case over Angolan diamonds.
Tiffany stock falls to 52-week low.
Nordstrom to launch Manhattan flagship.
Lee Michaels appoints market presidents.
Michigan jeweler closes after 81 years.
Jacob the Jeweler files lawsuit against jailed advisor.
Edahn Golan: Diamond panel not happening.
Robert Pattinson buys emerald engagement ring for Kristen Stewart.
Jennifer Aniston has diamond, sparking rumors.
10,000 diamonds on display at Buckingham Palace.
Diamonds to help with laundry.
Five songs about diamond rings.
Truly bizarre … the anti-cheating ring!
From the Blog:
SW Radio Q and A with Zimbabwe human rights activist Farai Maguwu. (Transcript)
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine