In the news … A lawsuit over Tiffany snacks could have huge repercussions for anyone who wants to market Cartier potato chips … In-store robots can make the retail experience even more impersonal … And yet another story reminds us why it’s not good to flush your rings down the toilet … All below …
Louis Vuitton, Versace opening jewelry stores.
– Branded jewelry market “to double.”
Sterling Jewelers announces management changes.
U.S. Mother’s Day jewelry sales “weak.”
Luxury retailers outpace others in June.
– Consumer spending at lowest level in six months.
– Survey finds retail optimism.
J.C. Penney begins massive store remodels.
– Lowers prices on July 4th. Back-tracking again?
– Analyst: Strategy “increasingly unstable.”
– “The trick to weaning customers off discounts.”
– Penney closes Indiana distribution center, laying off 230.
Diamond industry faces “serious crisis.”
– Rough diamond prices “out of kilter.”
– Edahn Golan: Prices need to come down.
– Prices drop 3.6 percent in first half.
Why did Rio Tinto exhibit in Vegas?
Anglo gets final okay for De Beers deal.
“Why we need Kimberley Process reform.”
– Cameroon joins the certification scheme.
Did Zimbabwe mining minister promise licenses to security forces?
– Victim of alleged Marange police brutality testifies.
– Policeman who beat miner to death sentenced.
Zimbabwe diamond conference cancelled.
Lev Conquers All
– Leviev’s former partner plans to appeal court loss.
– Gaydamak must pay $1 million in legal costs.
– Did everyone lie?
Africa-Israel CEO leaves after four years.
Leviev’s Namibian factory fires entire workforce.
Botswana diamond mine worker found dead.
Petra gets money for diamond mine expansion.
Gitanjali launches Dubai jewelry chain.
Avi Krawitz: Chinese economy sputters.
– Shares in Chinese jewelry retailer drop.
Ben Janowski: Jewelers must formulate Internet strategy.
– Retailers fight back against “showrooming.”
– Researchers develop robot that can work retail.
Yelp busts “review-swapping” ring.
– Apple Maps may integrate Yelp.
Groupon opens concept store in Singapore.
British men spend one month’s salary on engagement rings.
Company sued over Tiffany-branded snacks.
Former De Beers CEO Gareth Penny named head of coal miner.
SEC sets vote on conflict mineral rule.
Diamonds may help quantum computing.
Did Twilight star try on an engagement ring?
Rapper Mase wins court battle, doesn’t owe jeweler money.
Rings flushed down toilet not found after search.
From the Blog:
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine