In the news … Did a company hand out bad-checks-for-gold? … The situation in Marange mine manages to get even uglier … Plus, jewelry makers now have their own song … All below …
Dave Bonaparte new head of Jewelers of America.
Blue Nile’s sales up, profits down.
– Investors love the numbers.
– Stock up 18 percent.
– Yes, people will buy diamonds over their phones.
Neiman Marcus, Saks show strong jewelry sales.
Hyde Park Jewelers acquires Traditional Jewelers.
Virginia jeweler dies in robbery. Terrible news.
– Suspect arrested.
Alberta auction company charged with fraud for over diamond sales.
Study: Well-paid workers steal less.
Diamond-snatching granny jailed.
Did travelling gold-buying company hand out bad checks?
J.C. Penney unveils prototype store.
– Why Penney “will come back.”
– Everyone wants to see it succeed.
– “Not a pricing failure.”
– CEO talks to CNBC.
Diamond miners may have to decrease prices.
Rapnet: Diamond prices fell in July.
– “Everyone just waiting around.”
Botswana not upping De Beers stake.
– Chaim Even-Zohar’s thoughts. ($)
Strike ends at Marange mine Anjin.
– Anjin accused of diamond smuggling.
– Ugh. Allegations of rape.
WDC reiterates support for conflict diamond definition change.
Chaim Even-Zohar: Sierra Leone now a kimberlite miner.
Tiffany releases corporate responsibility report.
“Street artists” decorating Tiffany Soho store.
Alex and Ani purchase local clothing retailer.
12.27-ct. pink goes on sale.
Scio (lab-grown) Diamond celebrates “100 carat milestone.”
Centaurus Diamond appoints new president. Just spoke to this company; it is only doing industrial diamonds.
Bidz terminates chief operating officer.
Women’s Jewelry Association hands out awards.
Thanks again to AGS (and Jen.)
Gymnast sports earrings from Mass. jeweler.
– Olympic swimmer’s diamond-encrusted mouthpiece.
From the Blog:
The Diamond Five:
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.